Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Filet Mignon Grilling - Need Help

SaucehogSaucehog Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I tried the 2 minute-flip, 2 minute-flip, 2 minute drill and the steaks came off pretty rare. I was cooking at over 600F. Steaks were about avg size in thickness.[p]What is the recommended sequence for a medium cooked steak. I went overkill when I put them back onthe grill.[p]I'm trying to get used to the direct heat cooking on the egg.[p]Thanks,
Saucehog

Comments

• Saucehog,
    In my experience anything over 3/4" thick need longer than 2 min-2 min- then a 2 minute with all the vents closed. Thick steaks need more time with all the vents closed. Keep the 2 min flip sear though. It's worked for me but what do I know.

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    kcstrip1.jpg
    <p />Saucehog,
    Get a thermopen for all your cooking. Direct, indirect.
    No guessng.[p]Mike

• scolescole Posts: 29
    Saucehog,[p]Use an instant read thermometer to check the temp. Take it off at 140* for medium. Using a thermometer will give you much more consistant cooks.
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Saucehog,[p]The two minute drill is great for the initial sear. You should then let the filets rest at a much lower temp. [p]Specifically, I'd do two minutes, rotate for two minutes, flip for two minutes, and rotate for two minutes. I'd probably give it a little on the edges to make it look nice. Then I'd remove to a 200 degree oven for ten minutes. [p]Filets should be rare - just not uncooked. They don't have much fat in them and overcooking will only make them yucky.[p]To be honest, I prefer doing the sear on a griddle rather than on the Egg grid.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
    Saucehog,
    I do mine differently than others. I do not like the seriously browned (seared) outside. I cook filet mignon at about 450 degrees, direct on the main grid. Cook for 5 minutes on the first side, then start checking with a thermapen after 3 minutes on the second side. It usually takes about 5 more minutes, but the temp climbs quickly and an extra minute can take them past the mark. I pull them at 130 to 135 for medium rare, so go to 140 as suggested below. Good luck![p]Joyce