Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp question

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I use my egg 4-5 times a week and have had it for three years, but I don't do many overnight cooks etc.[p]I have 2 8lb butts in. I got my temp stabilized at around 250 for an hour before putting butts in. I put them in and 45 mins into the cook the dome temp is reading 200. Should I adjust or just wait it out?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]If it were me I'd probably wait 30 more minutes then adjust if it hasn't budged.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    Wait it out for another hour or so, if it was stable before it should find its way back. -RP

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    AZRP and TRex,[p]Thanks for the help. I had to adjust. 1.5 hours in and internal is 60..... Think I need to pump up the heat to closer to 300 to get out of the danger zone in time?
  • Unknown
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Don't do it.[p]In short (in my worthless, non-medical opinion), you should't be too worried about the internal temp (except as a test of doneness a long time from now).[p]250 should be plenty hot to kill off any surface creatures.[p]FWIW, my batting average for keeping the fire going overnight is pretty poor, and based on my performance, I would suggest that you get up at o'dark 30 and check on the fire.[p]Good luck.[p]20stone