Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt at 160 - will it make it til morning?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a 17 lb. shoulder on the pit at 215 (grid) since 11 AM, and it is now up to 160. Do you think that it will make it until morning before it hits 200 deg?[p]I thought it was going to take 25-30 hours, but it seems to be moving right along.[p]Thanks again. I have been needy of late, and appreciate the help.[p]20stone[p]PS - I am doing this with a new Stoker, and sadly, it has allowed wild temp swings (from 214.5 up to 215.3) ;-)[p]

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    20stone,[p]You are just into the heart of the plateau. I've seen 8 pound butts sit between 160 and 170 for 5+ hours. I think you're fine.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]Sweet.[p]Nothing ruins a Sunday morning like a 4 am alarm clock.[p]20stone
  • TRex
    Options
    20stone,[p]As a caveat, though, you might want to check the temp around that time, just to be sure (I wouldn't want you to ruin your butts because of my bad advice). ;-)[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]That just goes to show you. If you sell your caveman soul and get a "device", you STILL don't get a full night's sleep if you don't know when to put your meat on.[p]Some day I hope to learn.[p]20stone
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    TRex,[p]Make sure you poke at the lump with a wiggle rod before you go to bed. Just to make sure your not just center burning through the lump. I don't know if it really makes a difference with a power draft unit, but it is cheap insurance.[p]E
  • TRex
    Options
    20stone,[p]What I do is just get one of those wireless meat thermometers and set it for 195 - if it beeps during the night I get up and take the butt off; if not, I sleep like a baby.[p]TRex
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    20stone,
    your target temp +/- 0.5 degrees is not wild fluctuation. hang in there. it would appear that things are doing well.

• Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]I agree with you 100%. I put a 7 pounder on last night at 10pm and the alarm was going off at 7:30am. It went on colder and was slightly bigger than the last one I did that took 15 1/2 hours. I got to bed late and never would I have thought this sucker would be waking me up that early. Without the wireless I would have slept as it overcooked.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    20stone,[p]20stone,
    OK 20-- a swing of 214 to 215 is NOT wild. That's good! I wished I got that out of my Stoker and Guru. Neither here nor there good choice of regulators so let the Stoker do what she was intended to do. Now onto the Shoulder--Is it really a "shoulder" or rather a really BIG butt? Hmmmmm a 17lb BUTT would be the biggest BUTT I ever seen and I seen some really BIG BUTTS! So let's assume shoulder with bone-in. BUT for the record there's a difference. If shoulder then you've lots of fat cap all around for insulation so you're good on time. However, next time throw her on a bit more toward the happy hour. For me that's based around the days first televised sporting event. [p]My advice---wake up at daybreak--grab a bloody mary----check temps---(my guess--187-193 level). If so pull, cooler and go back to bed for several hours. If not then still throw back the bloody and go back to bed..[p]
    Rule 1--Butts are ready when ready---especially for a butt that BIG![p]Bertha!

• Unknown
    Options
    BYC,[p]It is, in fact, a shoulder, with a butt (big in its own right) and a picnic, all with bone in and skin on.[p]After getting two responses on which way to do the skin (one said skin up, the other skin down), I put it skin up for the self basting effect.[p]This is cooking faster than usual for me, as I have previously relied on my dome thermometer, which, as it turns out, reads hot.[p]I think that the bloody mary idea is excellent, and I will get right on it.[p]Thanks,[p]20stone
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    TRex,[p]Hear, here! I had a NuTemp wireless (3-channel) to help me "babysit" my first low & slow last weekend. I put 2 probes in to back up the grid probe (one for high temp alarm, the other for low temp alarm, and the 3rd one to back up the Guru's meat probe (high alarm). Alarm by the bedside for grid too hot, grid too cold and meat done. Got woke up at 8:30am to the brisket being ready; foiled, coolered, and fired the Egg back up to do some ribs. That was a great lunch, I must confess.[p]How do you think I slept? Like a.... baby?[p]The brisket & ribs were wonderful, and we all live happily ever-after... with plenty of worry free sleep. I'll laugh in the face of anyone that tells me I am cheating... I prefer to think of it as "working smarter", and leveraging technology to my convienience![p]TD