Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoke cheese?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife read about smoking a block of Cheese. Has anyone ever smoked done this? If so how did you do it and was it good? [p]I read the recepe, but nothing about heats, etc. It did say to smoke it for 2 hours, so I'm wondering how it keeps from melting.[p]Thanks as always, Frank

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Franco:[p]You may find the thread below of interest.[p]I am still enjoying the results of my last winter's smoke. Yes, it can be some work, but worth it if you like your grits or sandwiches with smoked cheese. A key to proper storage is to tightly seal the cheese to be stored. A FoodSaver can be used or tightly wrap in plastic food wrap.[p]The smoking season is just around the corner, good luck with your results.
    [ul][li]Smoked Cheese[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Franco, djm5x9 gives you good information![p], there is also a friend on another forum that makes killer smoked cheese....look up "Reg" , I`m sure he would be happy to walk ya through a smoke or two....[p]here is the link, just give him a shout, he`ll be along,,[p]Mop!

[ul][li]Reg`s smoked cheese[/ul]
  • Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Franco,
    Yes, I've smoked cheese many times on my old electric smoker and let me tell you it's outstanding. I have not attempted it as of yet on my new BGE. The BGE may be just too efficient for cheese. The only tips I have is use a sharp or better, an extra sharp cheese. The firmer the better. Smoke as heavy as you can with as little heat as possible. Post your results and let us know how it went. I hope to try it soon. Any tips would be welcome.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!, someone posted sometime back that they were smoking cheese directly over the exhaust vent during low and slow cooks. I never tried it and its just a quick perhaps inaccurate memory of a prior post.
    C~W
    An idea..one could make a stove pipe type flue and hang the cheese in that for a period of time..over the vent.
    I don't know the intricate details of that project so take it for what its worth..
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

• BUCKSPERT
    BUCKSPERT Posts: 10
    Options
    Franco,I usually cut the cheese first, smoke and fire come later!

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the tip. I've heard this some place before, Sounds like fun, Hope to try it soon.

• Vents
    Vents Posts: 15
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    A weber charcoal starter could be used.I just put mine up there upside down.I would have to be cleaned up for the operation,but with some foil on the inside it could be made to work really well....just a thought.