Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first experience....lots of room for improvement here

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, last night my Egg arrived and I fired the baby up. Thinhs were going well and I added the hamburgers, so far so good. As it was quite cold outside I was not constantly beside my Egg. One time when I can out the temp was registering 50*. I had the bottom vent about 1/4 open and the top cap was completely off. I looked inside and the fire was still very hot...my eyes could tell!![p]I took the patties off and brought them to the kitchen to check for doneness and oppps!!! little too rare so back they went. I opening the vent a bit more and left them for several more minutes. When I returned the temperature was around 500 and I had nice little hockey pucks on the bottom. Kind of fitting for a Canadian eh![p]My wife looked at this and still managed to eat it. At least I know I have no where to go but up.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    GJ,
    Good luck with your cooking adventures and welcome aboard the good ship BGE. You sound a bit like me a short time ago, I use to bring meat into the house rare or too well done. After getting an Egg and buying a few Polder type thermometers (even have a ThermoFork) I have learned how to tell when meat is done - by internal temps. It made a big difference in my cooking when I got thermometers. Have fun with the Egg, let us know if we can help with your next cooking adventure.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's Cookbook[/ul]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    GJ,[p] If the fire felt hot to your eyes (as you peeked in) and the dome temp was truly 50 degrees as read on the BGE thermometer, then that leads me to believe your thermometer was acting up. Here in VA, my thermometer gets moisture it in occasionally. If that moisture froze (inside the part you read (outside the BGE)), the needle would stick at the bottom peg until such time as it the whole thermometer got warm enough. Then, when it let go, it would jump up to whatever the real dome temp was. Check the thermometer. Another thing to think about is that you probably started getting flareups once the burgers cooked more. That would crip them pretty darn quick. I've found that it helps to keep burgers around the outside of the grid so the grease doesn't land directly on the flames. Also, here's something for you -- try smoking some burgers at 250 for 45 min - an hour or so over some wood chips. I love 'em done this way. I based my initial attempt on the recipe for 'Humdinger Hamburgers' in Smoke and Spice. Happy Egging![p]-MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MikeO,
    If your thermometer is wet you can put it into your oven sometime and bake it dry. After it cools you can run a tiny amount of clear silicone caulk around the seam where the glass meets the metal. That should help keep moisture out but make sure its dry inside first. [p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    GJ,
    A couple of weeks ago I was doing some pork loin chops over a hot fire. It was in fact very hot but the temp gauge read 100F. I think the gauge wraps itself around past the markings and I had a fire of around 900F. Has anybody else had the same thing happen to them?[p]JimW

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    JimW,
    It's not that uncommon to have the needle start back around again. I have seen it occur several times on my large.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GJ,
    I have been using C~Ws technique with great results.
    Cook burgers at 400-450 for 4 minutes each side.
    Then, apply layer of onion, then cheese if desitred.
    Close up all vents and let the burgers dwell 8-10 more minutes inside as the temp goes down. Great burgers.[p]Even though you had hockey pucks on the first time, you learned a whole bunch just by doing your first cook.
    Stay with it, and you will be wearing a chef's hat in no time.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JimW,
    Yep. The best steaks are made at those temps where that thermometer be lappin'!! Yeeeee Ha!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Elizabeth
    Options
    JimW,
    Absolutely!! That's how I melted the gasket- thought it was at 200 when it was over 900!!! Oops-we live and learn....

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    JimW,[p] Happens anytime I do steaks, however, I tried putting my slide top on this last time ans I could only get a dome temp of about 650. After a couple minutes of experimenting, I determined that it was a matter of whether or not the flames were actually touching the end of the probe or not. When they were, the probe glowed bright orange(!) and the temp wrapped around. When I put on the slide top (fully open), the dome temp went down as the falmes didn't come out the top vent any more. The steaks were beautiful, BTW.[p] I still think that, in this particular case, the problem had something to do with the thermomter sticking (for one reason or another) because he said the temp went *up* to 500 after he opened the egg more. Also, I've never been able to get the temp over 700F with the bottom vent only 1/4 open . . .[p]-MikeO
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    JimW,
    How were the chops? Great, I assume. If not, then they were over done because they were cut thin. The high temperature is one of my favorite methods of cooking Pork Loin Chops. The trick is have the chops cut thick, 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Then cook them at the high temperature for four minutes per side and the close the vents and cap off the top for ten minutes more. You will be amazed at the results.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Great idea. Also GJ, check your thermometer in boiling water and adjust the nut so it reads whatever the boiling point is at your elevation. I usually check mine every time after I do a high temp cook. I usually have to adjust it a little.[p]Overall though, once adjusted, it is amazing how accurate it is, even after being repeatedly heated to 900 plus degrees!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    GJ,[p]So as hockey pucks go would you recommend this recipe? B^)
    Hell you got out cheap. I have "Blacken" entire roast to the point of being a cendar rocks. There was not a piece of meat that was eatable even to the dogs and I will not even start on what is was like when I decided that I could come up with a better blend of seasonings. Those were some hard meals to swallow and frankly sometimes we just got up and went to Burger King. It hurts when the whole families cheers at once. Pay your dues you will not be sorry in the end and if your not lion hearted or crazy like me just follow the recipes here until you are comfortable, then spread your wings.[p]Chef by desatory and bull headness,[p]Elder Ward[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    The chops were 1 1/2" thick and absolutely great!

• Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    Options
    GJ, The sun WILL come out tomorrow! Everyone has to experience that "agony of defeat." It's a rite of passage. There are a million terrific recipies you can use right off of this site that will get you pointed in the right direction. TimM has a great one; used it myself twice in December! My suggestion: put your fur drawers back on and get that egg fired up again right away! Take care, Ranger1

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    JimW,
    I just called the wife to take a pork loin roast out of the freezer. I will cut it into chops and bath them in mustard and JJ’s Rub (First ever use for me).[p]Now, I am really hungry.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Options
    Tim M, and everyone else
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I think I will calibrate the thermometer when I get home. I am sure it did wrap around 'cause it was mighty hot.[p]You folks should have seen my wife's face when I served her the burger. It was a "You paid money for this thing!!!" look. I told her to look at this forum and there are people that have success. Besides, I have a rink in the backyard (was a lake a couple of days ago, now rink again)so I can always use the hockey pucks :) [p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    GJ, just remember, there are no mistakes - just learning experiences. Good luck!

• Nature Boy, I just spray some Pam on it..rub it off and it seals (waterproof's) the glass/metal contacts..Have to do this occassionally tho. I find it best to bring em inside during inclement weather and also preserves the needles colorations.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    GJ, At least ya used hamburger..You shoulda seen that black charred (where I got my handle) turkey I did...And it was my buddies hard fought wild turkey to boot..But it was the best smoked turkey he ever ate...
    When checking your new thermometer.. insert just the tip a inch or so into boiling water. Do not set the probe tip to the bottom of the pan or you will register a higher temperature than normal from the pan metal bottom. Tweak the nut under the thermometer dial case just enuff to move the needle to 212 ..Adjust for your altitude if your in the high elevation areas. There have been a number of posts on the proper guides for this in the archives.
    Good Luck and Welcome aboard...
    C~W