Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruth's Chris-Lump in a Weber-CW's BD

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang,
Just got back from Palm Springs CA, at a week long seminar and the hottest temp golf I've ever played. Every day, I was cooked low 'n slow at about 110-115 degrees. You definitely need the water from drying right out in your shoes. But, got to finally check out the renowned Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, where they sear their cuts at 1600 degrees!! Excellent, and also tried another great place that has other national locations, called Sullivan's.
Ques: any ideas for equivalencies of lump vs. briquets in a Weber? Doing a beef tenderloin at the fishing cabin next week, and DO NOT want to use the Kingsford..thought I'd haul some lump and flavor wood along.
AND finally, haven't read any of the recent posts, but deduced from the titles, that Birthday wishes are in order to Char Woody. Here's to you CW, belated best wishes and many happy returns. Big Murth

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Lump worked real well for me in a barrel grill
    at our subdivision pool. I was afraid to bring the
    egg around all those curious hands. One thing to be aware
    of is that when you get the coals lit in a chimney or by
    the pile-up method, it sparks like crazy when you knock
    the pile down.[p]Chuck

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I can't help much except in a negative way. I have a couple of Weber kettles and I got the BGE just so I could do hi-temp grilling. I remember watching with frustration as my Weber failed to get above 500* when I had all the vents wide open.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Murth, you had a great time, I can tell.. and JJ let the cat out of the bag..Now everyone knows I am not the sexy 39 year old anymore..What to do??
    BTW.. when you click up to 1000(?) in the BGE, whats another 600F more or less..:-)
    Cheers back atcha..
    C~W[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I have a Weber kettle and use it upon occasion. I agree that Kingsford is the pits. If you can get your hands on some really good quality briquets (with no petroleum binders) that Weber will do a nice job for you. The only brand I've had good luck with is "Lakeshore hardwood Briquets" sold at Tru Value hardware stores. Lump works great in a Weber if you are willing to sort through the bag and use only the larger pieces. A starter chimney full in total ignition mode will get you close to 700* Yup, watch out for the sparks![p]K~G
  • KennyG,
    You can use all the different size chunks in your Weber, you just have to play with your charcoal more. Pick out the bigger pieces and make a layer on the fire grate, then go with medium to small pieces on top of that, then the crumbs. Yeah, it takes a little time, but I have been able to get good burns on my WSM that way and have gone to using only lump since Nature Glo went to the Kingsford people.
    SteveM