Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1 Rib Method

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to cook ribs this weekend using the 3-1-1 method and cannot seem to find it. Can someone please forward the method or a link to it.[p]Thanks,[p]RajunCajun

Comments

• RajunCajun,
    1. Stablize dome at 250. Indirect setup.
    2. Cook ribs for 3 hours indirect.
    3. Wrap ribs in foil (perhaps adding some liquid inside the foil) and cook indirect for 1 hour.
    4. Remove ribs from foil, remove plate setter, and cook ribs over direct heat for 1 hour, basting during last half-hour or so.[p]Note: I have found that most baby backs (or other thin and less fatty cuts) will cook using a 2-1-1 .

• RajunCajun,
    1. Stablize dome at 250. Indirect setup.
    2. Cook ribs for 3 hours indirect.
    3. Wrap ribs in foil (perhaps adding some liquid inside the foil) and cook indirect for 1 hour.
    4. Remove ribs from foil, remove plate setter, and cook ribs over direct heat for 1 hour, basting during last half-hour or so.[p]Note: I have found that most baby backs (or other thin and less fatty cuts) will cook using a 2-1-1 .

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    RajunCajun,
    go to wessb's site that were i go most of the times for a good pictorial step by steb cooking methodes.
    www.wessb.com
    good luck
    mike

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    How about using BBQ sauce for the foiled portion?
    It seems that people use water or apple juice.
    Too thick? Too sugary?[p]I haven't done these yet (maybe Sunday), but I'm
    thinking of adding the BBQ sauce then instead of
    for the last hour. Or would it burn too much in
    that last hour? Hmmmmm....thinking as I type...
    that may be it.[p]Frank

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    sneezix, interesting idea, but I don't think it will work. I've seen posts where people add honey to the foil step. My guess is that BBQ is too thick and sugary, though maybe no more so than honey. But there are the other ingredients in BBQ sauce, and it would probably start burning (blackening) in the foil, only to continue in the last hour.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    sneezix,[p]Actually, tomato based sauces will pull a ton of flavor out of the meat. Especially, when wrapped. Mustard or very thin vinegar sauces will not BUT anything vinegar based may have a negative reaction to the aluminum foil.

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    BYC,[p]That's some good info. Thanks!