Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning the dome thermometer?

Electric Don
Electric Don Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any thoughts on whether and how often to clean the dome thermometer -Mine's pretty cruddy after maybe 18 cooks, and I can't believe it doesn't affect the accuracy. thanks for your thoughts.[p]electric Don

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Electric Don,
    you mean the dial or the probe? The dial can be wiped clean with a damp rag and I will occassionally take a SOS pad with a smig of water to clean the probe and then wwipe clean.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]Thanks, RRP, it was the probe I was wondering about - thinking that the crud that builds up surely would affect the accuracy. Thanks for your reply. [p]Electric Don

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Electric Don,[p]In three years of owning the BGE, I have never cleaned the probe of my dome thermometer. That's more than 200 cooks according to my records (plus the ones I forgot to record after a few beverages). I haven't noticed any ill effects. I think the amount of crud tends to stabilize after a while. [p]Of course, this also means I haven't calibrated the dome thermometer since it was new. Some will tell you the thermometer should be calibrated regularly, but I haven't had any problems. If it ain't broke ...[p]-Kevin
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Electric Don,
    Whenever I clean something metal(grill racks, probes,etc.) that has been exposed to that much soot, I just use a quick(and I mean quick)light spray of oven cleaner on the probe..let it sit for about ten seconds and wipe clean with a "throw away" rag. It'll shine like new, just be aware that oven cleaner is caustic. If you don't have any oven cleaner around the house, keep in mind that a tarnished probe just gives a better seal than a clean one. Happy Eggin'.