Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow-up to my Post - "Just bought egg and selling it"

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys...Thanks so much for all the replies to my post. You are a great bunch, offering to help me, etc. You're all like One Big Happy Egg Family. Sounds as if you have a lot of fun. My husband walked down the morning and asked if my egg had hatched...meaning did I uncrate it yet. I'm seriously thinking about giving it a shot. Happy egging and thanks again.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rita,[p] Honestly, you will never regret that decision.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    Options
    Rita,[p]If you think this is fun, you should go to an Eggfest!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rita,
    I really hope you follow through and give it a try. Even if your first few cooks are as simple as hamburgers and hot dogs, I promise you they will be the best you've ever had.
    Have faith in yourself and your Egg.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rita,
    here's the cool thing. so few 'used' eggs come on the market that you could try it out as long as you like and sell it later without taking a big hit. you won't lose 50% or anything. i'd bet you could sell it for 75% to 80% of what you paid, easily.[p]but once you try it, you won't sell it!
    good luck

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Rita,[p]Another way of looking at it is actually how safe it could be. It sits outside, with an almost impervious ceramic shell, able to be shut down with 2 quick motions even if blazing from a grease fire. (Been there, done that!) As opposed to, oh, say, spilling a roaster full of duck drippings into an oven which explodes into flame, and though extinguished in about a minute, drives everyone out into the November cold from the smoke. The Egg is an absolute safety feature for cooks.[p]gdenby

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    gdenby,[p]
    Good point! I just had a house fire caused by using the side burner of my gas bbq. The gas barbeque disintegrated with the heat and my large egg was less than three feet away. The egg was on at 300 degrees and as far as I could see, it maintained temperature perfectly throughout the blaze. I did scorch the handle and melt the egg nest wheels.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    Don't sell it, find out who has one close to where you live and i am sure you'll be allowed to taste a sample of whatever they cook (if you leave near atlanta, then come on by my house for a tasting)
    if you don't like it after taste testing, then sell it

never had a flashback if that's youre worry - open the top slowly & you want get the flashback
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Rita,
    if you sell your egg.... you'll be missing out on the best food you ever had/made...my egg has changed the way it eat...and my pals too.... althought they 're too cheap to buy one of their own... lol...or too smart?? ...

• hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    Rita,
    come on Rita you can do it..once you have tryed it you will never want to sell it.and the next thing you know you will be nameing it..just cook under 400 until you can get use to the way it cooks.. i don't cook much higher than that anyway i like low and slow...in couple months you will be telling others how to cook on the egg.. go for it and don't look back..

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Rita,[p]Just remember one thing, we're here seven days a week twenty-four hours a day. Stay with us and you'll get through the learning curve in no time at all! Good luck.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Rita,
    I do a lot of cooking with my eggs and I don't get flashback. I belive that taking a little extra time in letting my egg heat up and stabilize eliminates much of the chance of flashback. I set the lower draft door at 1/3 open when starting out. This helps in keeping the fire from burning to fast to soon. A little adjustment to the top daisy wheel vent and I'm ready to cook in around 45 minutes. When in doubt, I burp the egg. My wife, Diana, loves to cook on the egg and feels much safer with it than the gassers I use to have. Yesterday she did two spatchcock chickens, dome 350, a little apple wood for smoke, cooked indirect using a drip pan for 1.5 hours. I came home to outstanding chicken! Nakedwhiz.com has all the details on how to.
    Clay

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Good point! Can't count how many times something got away from me on the old gas grill. At least with the egg you can drop the lid and contain any sort of grease fire.[p]Not to mention the fact that you don't have to worry so much about people accidentally bumping into it. The old gas grill got pretty hot and I was always worried about my kids burning themselves on it.[p]randomegger
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Rita,
    Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!![p]You go, girl![p]Joyce

• AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Options
    Go Rita Go, Go Rita Go…. I agree with your husband Get cracken and cooken and you won’t regret it. We have had our Large BGE for 2 months now and my husband has not cooked on it once yet ,, I’ve done all the cooking and I just love cooking on the BGE it’s a lot better than the gasser BBQ.
    There is nothing to be afraid of . The only thing I found at first with the Large BGE is that the lid was a bit heavy to lift but I’m use to the weight of it now. I went to our camper on the weekend and when I lifted the lid on the gasser (without thinking) I lifted with such force that I almost ripped the lid right off it was so light LOL.
    I love the food that’s cooked on the BGE so much that I cook the food on the BGE and take it to the camper and heat it up on the gas BBQ. Guess I’m getting spoiled!!![p]And you have all the help you need right here [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Rita,good for you! In a month you will be telling us you should have bought the large BGE. LOL If you like pizza it is out of this world on the BGE plus all the other stuff. We use the 14" BGE pizza stone on top of the plate setter. You probably need a smaller stone for the medium BGE because I cannot remmber the diameter of the medium.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Rita,
    My Pregnant wife lights our Large "Oscar" and our small "Oliver" for me before I get home for work. If I thought for one second she was in danger I would put them to the curb for trash pick-up. Watch the Big Green Egg DVD... learn how to Burp the egg! Everything will be OK! You will make a lot of friends here and get all the advice you will ever need!! If I can be of any help let me know.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist