Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought egg & selling it...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a Medium Egg and it is still in the carton. I am now trying to sell it on Craig's List because I'm so afraid of the flashbacks. We are older and cannot cope with this. It was delivered to me yesterday and I'm selling it today. I'm seling it for $425 if you pick up in Maryland. I love the way you all find it so easy to cook on.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Rita,
    Flash back generally occurs during a high temp cook, it sounds worse then it seems. The same affect can happen when you light a pilot light for a heater, (yes it's happned to me). You can prevent flash back by just being aware that is possible. If I supspect a flash back issue I have ways around it.[p]

• Rita,
    Rita if you plan on cooking at normal temps around 300-350 you will have no problem. Everytime you open the lid you must "burp it" by just opening it up a little a few times before opening completly. I'd hate to hear that you didn't get to enjoy it. You should reconsider.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Rita,
    I apologize in advance for trying to get you to reconsider a decision that you've already made. [p]It is very easy to control the temperature on an egg. After you light it, place the daisy wheel on about half closed and close the bottom vent half way. Check it in about 10 minutes. The temp should be climbing and as you approach 300, shut the vents down more (and more, if necessary) until it stops climbing at about 350. [p]At 350, you can grill wonderful chicken, pork, veggies, hamburgers and even steak (though I tend to cook steak at around 400). It is almost unheard of to have flashbacks below 400. This will be the best food you've ever tasted. And we haven't even talked about barbequed food yet, which is generally cooked at around 225 or so. That's not even close to flashback land, and there are many here who like their hamburgers cooked that low for a longer time than typical grilling.[p]Do you have somebody who can help you with your first few cooks?[p]I am actually more afraid of gas cookers than my egg. I have never had a flashback on my egg, but I did make a gasser go "foomp" when I spaced out and lit it with the lid down.[p]Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.[p]Joyce

• Rita, if you keep the temp below 550 flash backs should not be a problem. We are retired and use our large BGE several times a week.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Rita,
    I'm retired too and use 3 of my eggs all the time. The person who scared you about flashbacks isn't the same person "offering to take it off your hands is it? Or a relative of theirs?" This scare smells fishy to me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rita,[p]You're a gambler right? (dealmein), give it a couple of tries. It'll sell as good with a few cooks under it's belt as it will all clean and white.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Rita,[p]Where are you located in Maryland? There are several Eggers around who I am sure would be willing to help you learn the basics on using the Egg. I'm located outside DC myself (Bethesda/SilverSpring area) and there are many others scattered around the state and nearby Virginia. Please let us know if we can assist!
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I'm sure you will find someone to take the Egg off your hands...But I would reconsider giving it up because of the flashbacks....I've had a couple of flashbacks happen....but they happened because of my stupidity.....These days I always "burp" the egg before opening and haven't had one since I learned that by raising the lid slightly for a few seconds GREATLY reduces the incidence of flashbacks....Hang in there! And there's folks here willing to help and train! [p]Best of luck.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rita,
    I am in the Baltimore area and if you need any hands on help give me a call.410-355-0460

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Rita,
    I'm in Westminster and will be cooking on 3 eggs the July 7 weekend. Feel free to email me and come on up to see what it's all about. Flashbacks are EASY to avoid.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Rita,[p]Don't be too quick to let it go if you haven't already.[p]Below are a lot of good posts, offers and suggestions. Listen to them please. Cooking on the Egg is worth getting over your fear of the "dreaded flashback". Once you master cooking on the Egg you'll enjoy outdoor food more than you ever have before. In the posts below there was an offer to come over and see what it's all about take them up on it, I promise you you won't be disappointed at all.
  • Rita,
    I will be happy to help you either way. I live in Annapolis if that is closer than the others and I would also be happy to help you get comfortable with your Egg. On the other hand, I have several friends who are very jealous of my Egg and would love to pick up a bargain.
    Just let me know if I can help.[p]Joe
    800-445-1963

• Rita, Don't sale your egg!!!!! I have been cooking on one for 15 years and never had flash back. Once you cook on it you will get the hang of it.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Should anyone be interested, Rita's listing on Craig's List shows an address in the Beltsville/Calverton area - on the Baltimore side of DC.
  • Rita, Puleeze do NOT sell your Egg until after you try it!!!
    I am in my seventies, have had my Egg less than a month, have had NO flashbacks, have done hi-heat steak cooks, lo-'n-slo
    pork butts, pizzas (the best I've ever tasted), burgers, standing rib roasts, beef and pork ribs, pig candy, smoked turkey breast, etc. I don't know how I have managed all these years without a BGE. (Some day I will post a few fotos of some of my cooks.) Give it a chance... you will love it.[p]fieroguy

• Amazed at how classy the folks in here are. [p]Rather than trying to get a deal on an egg, you folks are more focused on encouraging. Complete strangers offering to go out of your way to help a complete stranger. Impressive![p]Again, not surprising - but very admirable. [p]Makes me proud to be an egger.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Bubba_T,
    I second that, while reading the string of responses the same thought came thru my mind.
    Kind of like Harley-Davidson in the owner loyalty dept.
    Anybody out there have Big Green Egg tatoo's ?

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Rita,
    If you love grilling as you must or you would not have ordered yourself an Egg. I have a beatiful outdoor kitchen and mostly I use my eggs. Rarely do I use my gas grill. Flashbacks are avoided by proper technique. I have had my eggs for 7 years and have never had a flashback.

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Haggis,
    I think WessB needs another....

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    looks like Rita has gone code blue. wish we could revive her. too bad. [p]after listening to one salesman in my local dealer's store describe a flashback to a potential purchaser, i wonder how many egg sales are lost. sure the event, when and if it happens is scary, but so is a car wreck. do you now sell that new escalade because of the potential for a wreck? i don't think so![p]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Rita,
    I've had ours for 2 years and I've never been burnt by a flashback. I've had situations where if I had opened the lid quickly, you bet I would have been burnt. So there's a difference between your bbq never being in the position to put out a flashback or it was but you were careful and avoided being burnt.[p]Last night I made burgers (they were fabulous, I'll tell you about them in a minute) and the egg was full of fire and wanting to spit that out at me. I was just really cautious and burped the lid, opened the lower opening (yeah, saw the fire whooshing around bigtime then), and just being really cautious when opening the lid.[p]I think the people who experience (get burnt by) flashbacks are the ones who aren't as afraid so aren't as careful. You sound like me. I'm dreadfully afraid of getting burnt so I'm ultra careful and therefore I've never had a problem. I think you can cook on an egg without any problems too![p]Now let me tell you about these eggsellent burgers. I did the 'stuffed' method that was recently discussed here. Two very thin burgers with 2 kinds of cheese and carmelized onions in between them, then squished the edges together to make one burger. Egged them at about 475 and they were done very fast. The meat was ultra juicy and was dripping and causing major flareups, so you could say they were charbroiled![p]They were about the tastiest burgers we've ever had. In fact, I made 5 even tho one son wasn't home yet and I suspected he might be eating at the mall. So we sat there looking at his burger and then someone mentioned who was going to get to eat it. LOL I said, 'Let's give Tim a while to get home first.' "A while" lasted about 20 seconds before we started figuring out how to cut it 3 ways. (Hubby didn't want seconds.) Then #3 son said he would do without, so it was just me and #1 son fighting over it. I said 'You cut it in half and I'll choose my half.' (This always worked great when the kids were smaller.) I went inside to check on something and when I came out, he was putting condiments all over it and trying to eat it all himself. The little poophead. I grabbed it and scraped all that junk off (I like mine with just thousand island) and there was much fighting over it. LOL First time anyone here has ever fought over a burger.[p]I can pretty much assure you this would never have happened with the old Weber.[p]Keep the Egg!!![p]Gwen