Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cleaning the egg

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the easiest way to do this... shop vac, use ash tool? I don't want to ruin my shop vac, so if this does could someone please let me know.
Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    I use a spatula that is designed for a wok and bend it to a 90 degree angle.Scoop and lift out.

• Unknown
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,[p]I have used a shop vac for "deep cleaning" for years without any problems. Once or twice a year I take the fire ring and fire box out, vacuum everything really well, then take a balled up piece of heavy duty foil and scrub everything down, including the inside of the dome. Vacuum again. Maybe take a paint scraper to any gummy stuff on the daisy wheel. Whole process takes maybe 20 minutes.[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Darnoc,
    that's what i did for maybe a year until the handle fell off. hahaha.
    cheep bugger that i yam, i finally sprung for the ash tool and found that it reaches almost two-thirds around in the space between the firebox and the body. pretty cool.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,[p]Sears had their Craftsman 2 gallon wet/dry shop vac on sale this past weekend for $15 (reg is $30). It reaches the back of a large Egg through the inlet damper, no problem. [p]I have used it twice (I've been cooking ALLOT, lol) and while that's not a large sampling, it seems to be doing fine. Besides, for $15, if I eventually ruin it, it's a relatively inexpensive lesson.[p]TD
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    I dust it once maybe twice a year, I'll pull the ring and box out and clean behind them. I'll do a burn-off twice a year to make everything white again, other than that no special tools, I do tamp the ash down under the fire box before every cook just so I don't have to clean it every time

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    i just reach in with my hands and pull some ash out, it doesnt need to be spotless down there. when i start to have difficulties with temps i take everything out to get to the stuff in back of the fire box, maybe once a year. for day to day cooks i just reach in with a lawn ranger tool and level the ash, i dont clean it out til its almost full. a little ash in the bottom protects the bottom from excess heat. i made the mistake once of picking up some water once with a shop vac after picking up sheet rock dust, it ruins the filter with a hard coating of crust, the same thing would happen with ash i believe.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Shop Vac for the eg, Yeah I do that just usually when I finish vacumning the kids sandbox and just before I shop vac the weeds and dirt out of the garden.

Its a grill, its is supposed to be dirty, The only thing I do is scoop out as muh ash as I can, and I occasionally let it burn at a high temp 750º + for 150-20 minutes. I hate to wasting my time cleaning the egg when I could be cleaning the dirt out of my garden.
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    I use a shop vac about twice a year for a good cleaning. Take out everything inside. The rest of the time the LR ash tool takes care of it.

• Woogeroo
    Woogeroo Posts: 43
    Options
    I disassemble everything, remove the charcoal pieces and put them in a bag of some sort or a bucket.

I use a small straw broom to sweep the ashes and so forth out the bottom vent and catch it all in a dust tray.

I put it all back together, spray cooking oil on the grill, load it up, put in the electric starter and fire it up.

-W
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    Dont think I ever cleaned mine. Every now and then I let it burn out the remaining coal at high temp, leaving it whiter inside.
    ST

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]And I wonder what would happen if you put your shop vac into blower mode and stuck the hose into the top of the Egg (sealed enough to prevent blowback?) Ignoring the ash-filled air, which might be handled using a little ingenuity, would it get all the ash out?
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Haggis,
    Likely it would. I have actually tried sticking my leaf blower in mine (after getting all ash out I could with the ash tool) and still got quite a cloud of ash in the air. Since my egg is 15' in the air on my deck and the deck is just a few feet from woods it did not matter. I just used the blower to also blow off the deck and my egg table. Yes, it works but be prepared to continue the cleanup beyond the interior of your egg.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    i don't understand the need to completely remove every speck of ash.[p]seems an awful lot of trouble for what? an egg devoid of ash until the next cook?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Haggis
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,[p]I'd sure want to be sure my ash was real cold before I blew it into the woods . . . on the other hand, Fishlessman has his Eggs overlooking a pond.[p]Per Stike, there isn't really much need to clean everything out but if there are areas that the ash tool won't reach, this technique might help.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    stike,
    It was a challenge thing after reading of others using a shop vac. Since that one time I have only used the ash tool and am satisfied. (and not covered in ash) lol

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Haggis,
    Correct. I never even try using the ash tool till it has been shut down overnight and very cool.

• Haggis
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,[p]My college fraternity house had a fireplace in my bedroom that we used to establish a romantic mood as we pursued our goals. I recall cleaning it many days after was used and dumping the ash into a plastic trashcan. Fortunately that trash can was located in a safe area because several hours later it burst into flame. And I emphasize that that was days, not hours, after the fireplace had last been used.
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options
    Don't Egg me on,
    I use my shop vac with a bag in it for 16 gallon size and it seems to do the trick of keeping the ash in the vac and not on my pool deck, Just remember to poke your holes in the box if you use a rake method cause they do clog with ash and with a few cloged your going to get hot spots, like on only one side of the box and not the entire box will be burning.