Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor lump storage?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to start sorting my lump rather than dumping directly into the firebox. Both to place larger pieces on the bottom and to avoid the chips and dust from being used. [p]What do people use to store their sorted lump outside? Will a tupperware type container with a lid keep the moisture out? It is under cover so it won't be exposed to the elements directly. [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Ryno98,
    i use the 18 and 24 gallon rubbermaid containers and they work fine. i live in the high desert so moisture is not an issue for us.

• MrsBoMac
    MrsBoMac Posts: 2
    Ryno98,[p]I store mine in two square containers(sorted lg/sm) with lids and stack them inside a deck box. Mine are under a covered deck.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Ryno98,
    I store my lump in a sealed plactic tub on the bottom shelf of my egg cart. It is outside but under a roof. I always seal the lump bag with a heavy duty twist tie, but I also keep a bag of dessicant(silica gel) in the tub to remove any additional moisture in the air(works great for gun storage too). I buy all of my silica gel at Wal Mart in their dry flower section where it is sold in one and five pound cans for flower drying. Happy eggin'.

• Danthx
    Danthx Posts: 14
    Ryno98,I went to Home Depot and bought 3 of their 5 gal pails with lids. I separate my lump and stack them in the pails and cover with a old bullet style smoker cover. I did the same with 2 gallon pails for my chunks of smoke woods.

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    KingsfordCharcoalcaddy1.jpg
    <p />Ryno98,
    I use the Kingsford Charcoal Caddy...NOT kingsford charcoal. I store my charcoal in the bag in our storage shed, but as I come across big pieces, or if I'm cleaning out the egg for a long cook and want to save the partially burmed lump, I put them in this. I put the big peices on the bottom and the rest on top. It does keep the moisture out.

• RJH,[p]I've also got one of those. Considering another, for sorting.[p]This thing is awesome. We've had three or four REALLY bar storms and my lump has remained really dry the whole time.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Ryno98,
    I used to keep some in the back in a rubbermaid tub. It was just sitting on my patio and I noticed water get in it......of course it didn't help that my kids that it was a neat thing to stand on and jump off of which split the top.[p]I decided to drill holes in the bottom of that one and put in inside another one of the same size/brand which had a no broken lid. I dump a bag of lump into my doubled container and shake it around. The chips and dust fall through to the bottom. I'm gonna try making some briquets this summer with corn starch a little H20 and the chips and dust I'm collecting.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    dhuffjr,
    I use a Rubbermaid Roughneck 28 Gallon trash bin and a #10 grain scoop. This is the squared barrel, it's very easy to shift for digging in with the scoop, packs away nicely for little trips and it holds about 60 lbs of lump. The bin is kept outside on an open patio, I live on Cape Cod and the humidity and moisture have not been a problem.
    I have a couple of different Rubbermaid brand storage bins that I use to stow gear. Only the Roughneck line is raintight when the lid is snapped down, the line that has the sliding clamps will leak rain water at those clamps and needs to be kept under cover.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Ryno98,
    Back in my old Weber days I used to keep briquettes in a war surplus ammo box. It would hold a whole 20 lb. bag and was completely waterproof. I still have it and it has been half full of biquettes since I got my egg.

• Ryno98,
    i use rubbermaid tubs. i keep them on the deck, and here in the midwest we have pretty high humidity. i haven't experienced any problems. just be sure you snap the lids on tight.[p]ken[p]