Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey breast best internal temp?????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best internal temp for a smoked turkey breast...some say 170 some say 180...most books say 180 but I think it a bit dry you eggers?????

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    nodock,
    around 155 we start keeping an eye on it, yanking it off around 165 max.[p]180 be pretty dry in a regular oven, but in the egg, it's still edible actually. once overcooked the breast and it was moist when served, later, the leftovers were dry. you have a brief window of respite if you peg 180, but stay away from it if you can.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    nodock,
    cooked at roasting temps 162, cooked low and slow i let it get near 170 internal. these are temps that i take it off the grill to rest for a while. i believe its safe somewhere near 158 final temp, but the texture isnt right for me. pink is ok for turkey thats smoked on the grill, both the smoke ring and near the bones are sometimes a little pink

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02571a.jpg
    <p />nodock,[p]For flavor smoking at roasting temps, I too pull at 155° -160° When I do the 48 hour brine I will take them just a bit higher.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    nodock,
    What temp do you smoke that at?

• Unknown
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    325...we like I light smoke and we use apple wood...also, I don't have patience for a long smoke....usually weights 5-7 lbs......thanks

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    nodock,
    i do mine to 165-170 and they come out fine.[p]DSC_6918.jpg

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    nodock,
    Stike makes a good point about keeping an eye on it from 155 on. I've had them rise quickly near the end of the cook. I pull mine off between 160 and 165. They usually rise to 165 or 170 before slicing. Very moist. [p]Joyce

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    nodock,
    I have not cooked a Turkey breast right yet! Last one I pulled at 160 and it was lousy, nobody got sick on it but nobody ate much of it either. The texture was still very dense. Next try will be 170-175.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    nodock,
    I always pull it out of the BGE at 162 degrees, cover with a foil tent and let it rest for 10 min. PERFECT everytime!!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    120_2069.jpg
    <p />nodock, I'm a fan of the boneless netted breasts from Costco. There's hardly any waste. Plus, you can roll them out for stuffing or added seasoning....

stuffedturkey002.jpg[p]Almost forgot, low 160s is a good temp.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    tjv,
    what set up and temp?
    ryan

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    turkeybreast0001.jpg
    <p />chainsmoker, raised grid, indirect, 325-350ish dome with couple chunks of wood for smoke. It's a thick piece of meat, so I find it best to follow the package instructions on time and temp. Do go indirect on raised grid to keep the heat off the bottom.
    turkeybreastwithslicer0001.jpg
    I have two in the freezer now. Next week after Egg by the Bay, I'll have to cook one. T[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.