Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL hits 650 with next to no lump

City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was using up the last of my lump before I clean and refill with fresh stuff for my 9lb butt. I scraped all the lump over to one side of the grate, that was 1/3 covered grate, 2/3 uncovered. I was maybe 3 inches deep. Lit it up and let it climb with no cap and bottom vent wide open. Got it up to 650 in 10 minutes, cooked a couple of steaks, and shut it all down again. Dang I still have enough lump left for a few more cooks. Now I am thinking of rigging up a dam of some sort to hold lump off to one side for mini cooks. Any how, I am impressed with the egg for getting to such a high temp with so little fuel.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    City Slicker,[p]What I wonder is if pushing the lump off to the side might make one part of the fire box expand a lot more than the other, and contribute to cracking?[p]This brings up a whole new topic for experimentation. Does a stacked-up pile of lump get hotter than a thin layer of lump? Can quick and fast cooks be done with a littlish mound at the center of the fire box? [p]gdenby

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    City Slicker,
    did the same the other day with my large i just had a bit of lump so i fugured i'll lit it and smoke a few sausages.put the sausages on the went indoors next thing i noticed it was at nuke temps with only like 1 cup of lump pieces in the bottom....pretty amazing .
    mike