Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ribeyes on the egg. This time, only on the egg.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to admit, the first time I used the egg I had some ribeyes ready to go and chickened out. I didn't want to burn the gasket. I didn't want to experiece a flashback. And I was just a little intimidated by this chunk of ceramic. So I lit the Weber and seared them on that and put them on the Egg to finish. They were good, but nothing better than I could have done on the Weber by itself. Of course I always thought my steaks on the Weber were just fine. [p]Today I was going to TRex them though. Or at least a variation of that. I had a slightly used small load of lump from 3 pizzas last week, so I just used what was there. For the first time I had trouble getting the temp up. I am sure it was smallish load of charcoal and probably a few clogged holes. I got it to 600F and decided that was good enough. I threw the 20oz ribeyes, sprinkled with a little 'Raising the Steaks' on for a quick minute, minute and a half sear. Then pulled them and dropped the temp back to 390 and finished them.[p]Now like I said, I always thought I cooked good steaks. But these just blew everyone away. I honestly do not know that I have ever had a better steak. I'm not bragging, it was all the Egg! My mom made a comment that it was better than one of the uppity places that she always speaks so highly of. [p]The Egg seemed a little intimidating when I first used it. I was afraid of messing the food up. Plain and simple, it's hard to mess up with an Egg. While you may not yet be one with the Egg, it's pretty hard to screw up. And me, I worried about burning the gasket. Well, I burned it a little last week, so I'm so over that :)

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Keith W.,[p]Ya done good kid.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Keith W.,
    now you just have to experience the smell of slightly overdone arm hair.
    Dont worry, that does hurt either, except your pride, and you will say, I wont get caught like that again............but you will, or at least I do, probably about once a year.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Keith W.,[p]Sounds like you did a great job...as for the gasket..mine doesn't have one and hasn't for a long time...
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Keith W.,[p]I TRex'd three 20 oz boneless ribeyes yesterday. I did a short marinade in a mixture of Dale's and EVOO before coating heavily with Raising the Steaks. I put them on at 600 and seared 4 1/2 minutes before finishing at 400 F.[p]The family was amazed by the results, and I frankly don't see myself ever ordering a steak at a restaurant again.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Keith W.,[p]I am new to the Egg also; have T-Rex'ed ribeyes twice thus far with similar results. As for flashbacks; I don't worry about it; elbow high grilling glove on the left hand, tongs in the right, and remembering to "burp" the Egg each time I open it. After one week and only 2 T-Rexes, my gasket is singed around the inside edge... but who cares? I don't... : )[p]TD
  • Unknown
    Options
    Keith W.,
    Woe to be the newbie uninitiated. (man does that look spelled wrong.)
    I just purchased my Egg this afternoon and it will be delivered this week. Though I'm known as a pretty good cook (it seems there is always a line to eat up my mistakes, at least) I feel woefully out of touch here.
    What does TRex mean? When you say you finish them at a lower temp, does that mean you seared them high, pulled them, dropped the temp and returned them; OR did you sear first side high, flip, then immediately damp down?
    Help! I wish not to fear my Egg.
    Razz

• Unknown
    Options
    Razz, [p]This should explain it http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    http://houseoffaulkner.com/Recipes.html[p]Yeah, you sear both sides then you actually pull the steaks off for about 20 minutes while you throttle the Egg down and stabilize it in the 400F range. Mine settled at 390F, so that's what I went with. [p]