Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
RHO
RHO Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm seeing a variety of ways to do Baby Back Pork Ribs in the BGE. In the past with a water smoker I used a rib rack. A number of forum members seem to prefer flat on the grill with cross stacking if required.[p]What appears to be the best way, rib rack or flat on the grill. I'm doing my first batch on the BGE tomorrow. They are presently membrane removed (thanks BGE forum), rubbed with my own personal hot rub, in saran wrap and sitting in the fridge.[p]Following CAT's advice, I intend to place them in the freezer for 45 minutes prior to placing them on the BGE. (I also learned a few years ago at a Chili Pepper conference in ALburquerque that ribs from frozen take on a better smoked taste)[p]I'm presently estimating 250 for 3 to 3.5 hrs[p]Any comments[p]TX[p]RHO

Comments

• RHO
    Options
    Char-,[p]For some reason your message did not fully come through. Would appreciate your resending it[p]TX[p]RHO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dang it...It took me five minutes to get over my mad...I wonder if taping over the word "Enter" on the key would stop it from doing that..:-)
    Back to your post...your starting with a cold smoke start (Thats 20 to 45 minutes) then your have a low temp rib rack so allow more time..250F it the top end of a direct cook so if you can hold the temps down..your in for a more moist rib. Unless your doing the foil wrap. There are several different approach's to the baby back cook.
    I probably confused you more..Sorry about the double post.
    C~W

• RHO
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]TX for the info. I'm not sure if I'm confused or not.[p]I gather your recommending a lower temperature than 250 say 200 as an example, in a rib rack, frozen for 45 minutes and about 4 hrs in the BGE after the temp has stablized.[p]Am I reading you OK.[p]TX much

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RHO,
    250* 3.5 TO 4 hrs should get you great results.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RHO, if your doing a standard cook with refrig to room temp ribs, JJ is pretty close..He has tossed more rib bones than I. :-) but if your object is to give them a extra smoke period, I consider that period almost a non cook time frame.
    So if you reduce your temperature to 225 or under, add some time to your cook estimate.
    If I put on ribs indirect at 225F degrees, my optimum time frame for those ribs will be at the 4 hour mark..If I want to sauce them, I usually start at the 3.5 hour mark..sauce and then add another half hour to the 4.5 mark..The reason is obvious..you have chilled your meats with sauce and you have to extend the cook..If you foil wrap after the sauce, you can narrow that down in time. I find you can leave em in the BGE in shut down mode for several hours and they are in hot moist fall of the bone eatable condition. No longer prime..but still a excellent meal.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• RHO
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I think I'm starting to get it.[p]My plan for tomorrow now is[p]put ribs from fridge (already there rubbed with hot dry rub) to freezer 45 minutes prior to start cooking time[p]use rib rack[p]preheat BGE to 225[p]once stabilized, add hickory chips and put rib rack with BBRs in BGE for about 4 hours maintaiing 225. Place some home made BBQ sauce on ribs and continue in BGE for another 30 minutes[p]If anything sounds wrong with this plan please let me know[p]I'll let you know how I make out[p]TX

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RHO, put a drip pan under the ribs if you want to go indirect..toss in some juice/water/beer..its all good for the imagination..or maybe it really does help :-)
    You will do good..
    ..and what time is lunch??
    G'night all...
    Char-Woody[p]