Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Scallop Question

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked some yesterday and while they weren't bad, they weren't great either. I think I started out cooking at too low a temperature (400-450). When I goosed it up closer to 550 the bacon cooked much better. They wound up being on for about 30 minutes. No one complained (except for me) but the scallops were overcooked.[p]I wrapped the bacon around the outside of the scallop(like a tire retread), skewered them through the hub of the wheel so that there was just bacon showing except at each end, and cooked them direct.
I think I did everything right except for the temperature.[p]Anyone have recommendations for cooking these without starting the bacon first? I'm thinking next time to try them at 550- 600 and see how it goes.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    big scallops, i usually just micro the bacon for 30 seconds or so to kickstart it.... [p]indirect then direct MIGHT be they way to go with big scallops and bacon, but i dunno. i kind of just roll them around til they color, given that i've parcooked the bacon. i like my scallops just barly done

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Check thru drbbq's books. I seem to remember that his method, presented either in one of his books on in a reply on this Forum, is that he wraps the bacon across the face of the scallop. Thus exposing the bacon to direct heat and protecting the scallop from over cooking.[p]HTH,[p]DD
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    I started to reply but McBain came by...[p]Yeah, I like the scallops barely done too. That's why it gets tricky with uncooked bacon. I want to get the cook down so I can get the scallops and the bacon done at the same time. When my sister-in-law visits, she always brings some big scallops that she wraps with bacon. If I want to parcook 'em, I'd have to undo them, nuke them, do them up again and then grill 'em.[p]I'm too lazy for all of that.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    last time i did them i "hurry-upped" (that a legit phrase?) som e of the bacon by (using your wheel analogy), standing them up on their 'treads' and rolling them around, exposing the bacon

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    check page 181
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    common mistake is to use good bacon which is usually thicker, you want the cheapest thinnest bacon you can find and stretch it before wrapping to thin it out more, avoid double wraps. another thought which i have not tried would to be to place a preheated hot pizza stone on a raised grill above the scollps when cooking, the extra heat from the stone will crisp them up faster. i believ old dave does this with chicken parts to crisp the skin, kinda acts like a poor mans broiler

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    stike,
    I will second that,I usually do mine for 60 seconds and never have a problem not being done,A good second choice,which in some cases will have a better flavor would be thin sliced proshutto.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Just tell her not to wrap them next time she brings them![p]Gwen
  • Unknown
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    You might consider using thinly sliced proscuitto instead of bacon. It cooks super fast and I find that the mild bacon-y flavor doesn't overpower the milder scallops.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I love most anything bacon wrapped and grilled, but I just hate to pay for scallops and then manage the cook around the bacon. I really think that you are best precooking the bacon. [p]My personal solution is to wrap them in prosciutto and then you do not have to worry about anything but the scallops. [p]At 400+, I would not give the scallops more than about 6 minutes to be done....