Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cover

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all my fellow eggheads out there a question. I was just given a BGE Large cover for Father's Day. I'm up here in Canada near Toronto where the winters are cold but not as cold as they used to be. Do I really need this cover? I'm concerned about the cold, ice and snow exposure to the thermometer on top but other than that, the BGE looks pretty sturdy to me. Any opinions are welcome and thanks.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Smokin James,
    YES, use the cover. Just because a car looks sturdy doesn't mean you shouldn't put it in the garage.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Smokin James,
    I live in Georgia and we don't have much winter to speak of. I have kept my large covered religiously since the day I purchased it several years ago.[p]I have no problems. I see it as a simple yet effective way to maintain my investment and one of my favorite possessions.

• Jason in MN
    Options
    Smokin James,[p]I live in Minnesota and definitely would get a cover. It just makes good sense to spend $20 to protect your egg.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Jason in MN,
    You must have gotten your cover a long time ago! Large covers are about $30-$35 now!

Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Smokin James,
    I'm down here in Illinois where we sometimes get nasty winters. During those months I use one of those realatively cheap UHVL canvas tarps to cover my eggs. I get about 4 years out of them. In the rest of the seasons yes I cover my investments with BGE covers. My late Father taught me early in life to buy the best tools I can afford and then to take care of them. Why drop that idea later in adult life?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    I bought a cover designed for a bullet smoker for about $10 and use that.
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Smokin James,
    I am in Toronto. Have the cover. It is a little tighter to fit when it is 18 celsuis below and the snow is blowing but I would not consider leaving the Egg outside without. More for the metal parts than the ceramic. [p]If you troll the archives you might come across some pictures of some frozen eggs and i had to smash the ice off my cover a few times this winter but that beats doing the same to the Egg !

• EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Smokin James
    Posted not so long ago a couple of other considerations for a cover

[ul][li]why a cover[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    makes sense to me but the local retailer I went to wants 69.99 for a BGE cover for my large. That seems really steep. I think I will elect to cover but find a more reasonably priced item.