Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My fire keeps going out

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had a small BGE for the past 5 years and have always used it at the 300-500 degree range without a problem. When I seek to lower the temp below 300, it inevitably goes out.[p]I finally broke down and got a BBQ Guru (should be hear by next week, so I'm finishing my father's prime rib roast in the OVEN)[p]Any other suggestions or reasons this happens? Buddies with the large BGE deny ever haning this happen

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Doc Matt,
    Can't speak to the small; and I've only had my large a week - so I am very new to the Egg (and loving it!).[p]That said, on the first day, I just burned it without cooking and played with the temp control; I tried to run the dome at 225F. It held fine for about 3 or 4 hours, but then slowly declined to 185 over the next 5 hours or so. (I was away during that 5 hours). When I got home and found it like that, I opened the bottom damper and top flue; it hit 300 in about 15 minutes - so I know I had plenty of fuel left.[p]I immediately ordered the Guru; used it yesterday/last night/today for the first time (14 lb brisket for 19 hours to 190 internal!); I had the pit probe on the grill set at 200F, producing a dome temp of ~230F. I followed that with a re-stoke and now I am about to finish the second "2" in a 2:2:1 rib cook at 250F (the brisket is foiled, toweled and waiting patiently in the ice chest). [p]Bottom line: The guru will solve this problem for you with style, and then you can sleep peacefully on those long low and slows... good move![p]TD[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Doc Matt,[p]I'm a relative Noob -- and had the same problems.[p]I disassembled my Egg to clean out all the holes, vacuum it out, yada,yada -- And discovered that the intake slots {exterior & "bowl" didn't line up. Since I made this slight adjustment, I have no longer had a problem.[p]Also, I have discovered that I need to use more lump than my dealer and the manual suggest. Since I have begun "loading" the lump and keeping the firebox filled, I have had fewer problems.[p]Now -- when I want heat... I got it![p]~ Broc

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Since you've had no problems with 300 - 500 degree temperatures, you're egg is obviously in good working order. Fires can go out and it's happened to me with my large but it's a been a while since as I've learned how to stack my lump.[p]For lower-n-slower cooks, clean out your egg completely. Then, carefully stack your lump. I put larger pieces in the bottom and I put the lump on an angle, not flat and that way the holes stay clear for better ventilation as air = fire. From there I stack the medium sizes on top and the smaller on top of that.[p]From there I only light the stack of lump in the middle. That way the fire will burn down towards the bottom. Two or three times during the cook I will take my Billy Bar and push unused lump towards the middle for added fuel while keeping the fire going and with stable temperatures. I used to start my fire in several places and had a difficult time keeping temps low. Since starting the fire in just the middle, no problems running at 250 for extended periods.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL