Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Leg of Lamb recipe

Options
Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys
I bought a 6 lb boneless leg of lamb and would like to cook it today. Anyone got a good recipe?
Thanks
Eric

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eric,
    easy and good one for you. . .marinade in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinager, rosemary, and mint .. . . set up egg for t-rex .. ..sear it for about 60 seconds per side on all sides, then stick you plate setter in the egg, get the temps down to around 350 degrees dome temp, put the roast back on and roast till it hits around 130 internal....let rest for 15 - 20 minutes under foil ....slice and serve. . .. goood stuff. .. .

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Eric,[p]The recipe as I found it:
    Butterfly Leg of Lamb [p]1 5- to 6- pound leg of lamb [p]Marinade:
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fines herbs
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice [p]The day before:
    Bone leg of lamb and slit lengthwise to spread flat like a thick steak.
    Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients in a blender.
    In a glass baking dish, in the refrigerator, marinade meat overnight, turning a couple times.
    Remove meat and heat remaining marinade on stovetop.
    Insert two long skewers through meat at right angles.
    Roast over medium coals 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours turning every 15 minutes Ôtill medium done, basting at each turn.
    Allow to rest 10 minutes then remove skewers and cut across grain. [p]
    I marinade this in a plastic baking bag with all the air squeezed out, so I don't worry about turning.
    I cook this in the Egg at 350 degrees, turning and basting every 30 minutes, to medium at an internal temp of 145 degrees. [p]
    I once did a quick marinade by poking the meat several times with a large meat fork and injecting a bit of the mix before marinade this in a plastic baking bag in a cooler for two hours. It came out quite good.

• Eric
    Options
    Thanks Micheael
    I an not sure I have much time for the marinade but I will give it a shot.
    Happy Father's Day
    Eric

• Eric
    Options
    Thanks Mad Max

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Michael B,
    Do you really cook that flattened meat for that long? I cook it like a tri-tip, which never takes more than 25 minutes to a pink interior. If it was really flattened, it would take even less time.

Judy in San Diego
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    It is still 3 inches thick and only gets flipped a couple times to 145.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Eric,
    I cooked one yesterday for fathers day, like this.
    I made a marinade with olive oil, sauteed onion, garlic and ginger, fresh rosemary and thyme, S & P, honey, pomogranite juice, and my sectret ingredient, warmed 3 fruit breakfast marmalade. I marinaded the leg in this for 4 hours, and then cooked indirect, over a dish of lamb stock for 2 hours at 350 degrees. I used a chunk of plum wood for smoke.
    I strained the remainder of the marinade, and when the lamb was cooked, I added the marinade to the remaining stock, and used this as a base for the gravy.
    Intense flavour, you better believe it, tender meat, the best yet.