Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3/1/1 question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will somebody post the whole recipe?[p]I've found bits and pieces all over the forum.[p]What temp(s) do you cook at? Is the 1st 3 hrs indirect? etc.[p]Thanks

Comments

• utvolegger,
    1. Dome temp stable at 250F for the whole cook. Indirect set up initially.
    2. Ribs in a rack or on the grate for 3 hours.
    3. Ribs in foil for 1 hour.
    4. Remove plate-setter. Ribs unfoiled in rack or on grate, direct, for 1 hour. Basting only during final 30 minutes or so.[p]Your total time will vary depending on the ribs. Baby backs, in my experience, can cook in less time. Big, meaty beef ribs may take a little longer.[p]

• utvolegger,
    Forgot to note that during the direct cook, you need to keep the ribs bone side down and resist the urge to flip them. Keep the meat away from the direct heat and let the bones work as a shield.

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    utvolegger,
    I did mine yesterday for 3 indirect
    1 indirect w/foil
    1 indirect w/out foil and w/sauce on 1/2 of them
    my dome was higher riding in between 275-300
    they came out great...best ever for me[p]Jan

• Mantis
    Mantis Posts: 8
    utvolegger,[p]Check out Wess B's website. He may post a link, if not it's pretty easy to find on the web. He has a good section on 3/1/1 ribs.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    utvolegger,
    The WessB site is very, very good. He adds that he now doesn't bother to remove the plate setter, and finishes the last hour using indirect.

Judy in San Diego
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    utvolegger,[p]The "whole recipe" is really a technique. Mostly credited to Bill Milroy of Texas Rib Ranger fame. There have been a lot of personal changes by folks for one reason or another. 3-1-1 or 3-2-1 or 2-1-1 are just guidelines. You still have to use some judgement, compensate for pit temps and go with what produces the product you like. But since you asked for it, here is a post from 2001 where Bill explains is his own words how he does ribs. Trust me, read this twice, there is a lot to learn here.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Re: Tinfoil!!! (2/13/2001 12:15:03 AM by Texas Rib Rangers)
    I've been cooking in compentions for 24 years and started using foil back then and still do.Jumpin Jim passed along one of his secrets so here comes mine. Smoke your ribs for 2-3 hours then wrap with foil. Before you put the ribs in the foil put some Brown Sugar & Honey on the foil put meat side down, then put some on the ribs then close the foil. Before closing completely put some Apple juice (about 2-3 oz.) and put back on cooker. After about an hour check Ribs if done pull them. About 30 min. before turn-in mix juice off rib with Texas Rib Rangers Spicy sauce and baste Ribs on grill to glaze them. Mix about 3 parts sauce to 1 part juice. Now you know the Rib Rangers story. [p]Good Luck and Happy Q'n Bill
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery