Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Low & Slow in progress - A concern and a question

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Allrighty... I installed the Guru today; loaded my one week old (and first) BGE with lump, topped that off with water soaked Pecan and Jack Daniels chips. I have an inverted plate setter with aluminum drip pan, the bottom of which is covered ~1/2" deep inch in apple juice; grill sitting on top of that. I clipped the pit probe to the grill about 3" from a 14lb brisket, and brought it up to 200F; the dome temp is 250F and both temps are steady as a rock (gotta love that Guru!). The meat probe is set at 185F, and is inserted into the flat just past the point (~center of the brisket). Brisket is fat side down. That's the setup, here's the concern:[p]It's been on only 2.5 to 3 hours now, and the meat probe is already up to ~145F. I know (hope?)it's going to plateau and hold for a long time, but the rate at which it came up to 145F seems a bit quick; I was hoping to get 18 to 20 hours out of this cook, and have it ready for the foil and ice chest to rest by 9 to 10am tomorrow; certainly no sooner than that.[p]Here's the question:
Is this normal? Is everything okay?[p]Signed,
Anxious Egg Newbie - aka Tony

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tony,
    It might be a little quick, but you are probably doing fine. You could probably lower the Guru temp if you think you want this cook to take as long as possible. Try 230. Sounds like you already have cooler time figured into the equation, so taking longer might be better than shorter. And you can keep the meat in a cooler for probably 6-7 hours if you wrap tight in foils and towels, so you are probably doing just fine.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Tony,[p]That seems a bit quick for time to current temp. I would reduce cook temp and let it roll on into tomorow morning. I am assuming at 14 lbs it's a packer versus a flat so my forecast is a very good lunch!
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 53
    Options
    Tony,
    You might want to move the probe. It is possable that you have itthe tip in a "Fat Bubble" and that will not give you a true reading. I would also scale back the temp so that the grid temp is solid at 190.

• SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    Tony,
    Trust the GURU, Grasshopper....it will carry you through...

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Tony,
    I would double check the meat temp with another thermometer if you have one and cut the temp back about 25 degrees. You might want to turn off the meat temp probe and not use it.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Follow-up:
    I've been away from the 'puter since posting and just came back to the great replies... I can't thank y'all enough for the reassurance and the tips; it's great confidence builder![p]Now, where's what transpired since I posted, before reading the replies: Got suspicious that one or the other readings from the Guru was off, so I dusted off my trusty old wireless NuTemp system; has 3 transmitter and 1 receiver. I popped a probe into the flat about 3" from the Guru's, and placed the 2nd and 3rd ones right next to the Guru's pit probe. The meat temp according to the NuTemp vs. Guru were too close to discern a difference; whew! The pit probes read higher than the guru by 5 to 10 degrees (close enough for BBQ? Heh-heh...).[p]The meat probes have risen to 165, and it has been sitting there for almost 2 hours (plateau, sweet plateau!). Because of the grill temp differences between Guru and the NuTemp, I lowered the pit temp SP to just above halfway between 200 and 175... the blower hasn't come on in a long time, and the grill temp is creeping down slowly, as expected. Oh, and the Guru has also entered it's ramp mode... which I think is just peachy. [p]I'm looking forward to "a great lunch" as someone put it... but not before a restful, worry-free night of deep sleep. Good God, why didn't I buy this thing 5 years ago... instead of cheaping out and going with the NB smoker? I am so happy right now, I could... (left to your imagination)!![p]Thanks again!
    TD[p]P.S. I have 3 racks of baby-backs staged, ready to fill in the 3 hours (+) of cooler soak time for the brisket... I predict tomorrow is te best Q day I'll have ever done; I already know it will be the most hassle/worry free!![p]P.S.S. I have photo-documented everything of interest to this point; tomorrow when complete, I will post a few for your viewing curiosity![p]