Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time smokewith pictures

Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I appreciate all the help I got here...[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/384139.shtml[p]Anyway I started a photo gallery of my first smoke using an egg (I have used "other setups"). The link to the photo gallery is below. Hope you enjoy. I will update it with more photos as the smoke session progresses.[p]Take care,[p]Brian
[ul][li]Photo Gallery of smoke session[/ul]

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Brian,[p]Perhaps AlaskanC has a thought, but I hear her bears prefer Brisket.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Richard,
    Great pictures, sorry the post should have been for the bear roast below.

• Brian
    Hi,[p]Well I had a rack of ribs in the freezer. I pulled them out and water defrosted them. I then spiced them up. I went ahead and put them inside the tray area a little elevated from the bottom of the pan. Also have a picture of my helpers, although the Shepard is my all nighter smoke buddy. The other one heads up to bed when he gets tired :).[p]Take care,[p]Brian
    a.k.a. Reflect

• Brian, FYI, It looks like you are cutting it kind of close on the amount of lump you are using for those 2 butts. You're probably ok, but I suggest having your lump brimming at the top of the fire ring for long cooks. Good luck, Scott
  • Brian, Sorry, I meant to the top of the fire "box" not "ring". Scott
  • Brian
    Scotty,[p]thanks for the heads up. I thought I might be pushing it. Next time I will definitely load it up to the top of the fire box.[p]I also am noticing the smoke is on and off. I am thinking next time to go with some wood chunks instead of chips. I will expierement with a short cook or two until I have this part don pat.[p]Temperature wise I have been keeping it nice and steady at 225 degrees.[p]Take care,[p]Brian

• Brian
    Well the ribs came off. However I have a few friends over. Once the plate hit the kitchen I had to grab a bone or two before they were gone. Sorry no final picks on the ribs.[p]Take care,[p]Brian

• Brian
    Well it's 5:45 a.m.. The smoker went through all the lump. I just added more so I should be set for the last part of my smoke.[p]Pork butts are up to 158 degrees, I think it hit the stall point.[p]Take care,[p]Brian

• Brian,[p]Great cook![p]Don't be afraid to fill your lump/wood chunks all the way to the top of the fire ring. I starting do that a couple of years ago and have never even run close to running out. You aren't going to hurt anything and will certainly save yourself the trouble of having to reload. And it is not wasteful because you shut down the egg after your cook and any leftover lump is snuffed out and is just used on your next cook.[p]I usually have my large egg so full of lump amd smoking wood chunks that I have to give the legs-up plate setter a gentle wiggle to settle out any wayward chunks of lump.[p]I would also suggest getting a plate setter if you don't have one already. I find that to be the single most important accessory I own. Put the plate setter with it's legs up right on top of the fire ring. Then place a throw away aluminum drip pan on the plate setter. You can put liquid in the drip pan or not. Both ways work fine in the egg. I have done both and I choose to fill my drip pan with plain tap water at the beginning of the cook. I feel that the water helps to prevent the grease drippings from getting hot enough to smoke. Grease smoke in a low-n-slow is nastybad. The egg really doeen't need the water to help keep things moist. But it doesn't hurt either.[p]Next, try cooking without the rib rack. I used to cook that way as well but so found that placing the meat directly on the grid worked just fine and was much less limiting in the amount of product you could put ont he grill at any one time.[p]BGE031.jpg[p]BGE016.jpg[p]BGE006.jpg[p]Don't be afraid to experiment. Looks like you are doing great and well on your way. Happy egging![p]

• Brian
    Fire in the Hole,[p]Thanks for all the great advise, I appreciate. I know I am going to modify my approach next smoke session.[p]Take care,[p]Brian
  • Brian
    Well All is finished and cleaned up (the wife likes hearing the cleaned up part :)).[p]I updated the pictures to show breakfast being a smoked fattie (sage flavor), peppercinos with cheesy eggs, Renfro's salsa, and toast.[p]The pulled pork came out moist as could be. Real nice smoke ring, good yield (normal weight loss). Had a fast sammie while putting the pork in freezer bags for down the road.[p]I learned a few things for next time. I also need to pick up the piece mentioned earlier. Thanks for the help in the other thread again.[p]Take care,[p]Brian
    [ul][li]Picture Gallery[/ul]