Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood and Large BGE

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I just scored a used large BGE, sweet price to boot. Dude stated it was used twice and had a sales receipt from Aprilish. Got the wooden table and cover also with it. I will post some pictures once I get my first smoke rolling today.[p]I have used an offset Brinkman and a GOSM wide body. I watched the DVD that came with this smoker. On the smoking section of the video it left me with questions so I thought I would ask here.[p]I understand to fill the smoker with lump about 2 inches over the holes. However the video stated to use wood chips, not chunks. I also had to go by a discributors sales location for a few accessories so I asked him the same thing. He stated he does not use any chips period, just lump (???). Also for inderect smoking would I add a drip pan right on the cooking grate?[p]So I am confused. I always go for the thin blue smoke from the exit damper. I was thinking to fill it the same amount with lump as recomended but use some wood chunks, not chips, and see how many to use from the resulting smoke. I was not sure how many cunks to start with if I did that though.[p]So I am confused. To top it off a have two boston butts and one brisket prepped in the fridge.[p]Take care,[p]Brian

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Brian,
    chips or chunks, mix them in if you want more smoke. you'll get some smoke from the lump, but if you are an offset guy, you'll probably want more.[p]chips won't burn with open flame, so no need to soak them. no need to soak chunks either. [p]i mix in more chips than i need, throughout the lump, so that the fire will encounter chips wherever it goes. some just drop a few chunks right on top of the burning lump. no big difference.[p]forget filling above the airholes just a bit. for most cooks, fill to the top of the firebox (lower ceramic 'bowl'). for really long cooks, overnight, etc., fill to the bottom of the upper ceramic ring ('fire ring'). in any case, you'll have plenty of leftover. just put the ceramic cap on when done and shut the lower vent, and you'll reuse the unburnt lump next time.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nancy
    Nancy Posts: 24
    Options
    Brian,
    For indirect cooking, most people use either a plate setter, pizza stone, or fire bricks on a grate beneath the grate you are cooking on. If you are using the plate setter, it rests upside down on the fire ring and the grate just sits on it's feet. You can put the drip pan under the grate in between the feet. If using a drop down grate, put fire bricks or pizza stone on it, put the drip pan on top of the bricks or stone and put the main grate over all of this. You can smoke more meat doing indirect this way because this gives you the main grate to cook on, plus you could even put an extended grate over it for additional meat. Hope this helps.

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi,[p]Thank you Nancy, I appreciate it. I did some research prior to buying and thought the same thing. The sales guy recommended the V stand, which is cool I can use it for the rib rack portion of the stand. He said to use a drip pan underneath so I used a throw away pan. I am going to go back as they are closed now and get the three legged ceramic table looking piece that you mentioned. It makes sense in the long run.[p]Strike, thanks for the smoke management tips, I appreciate it. I topped off the coals to the top of the fire bowl like you said. I also went with you suggestion of mixing the chips in. I used a blend of Hickory and Oak. I have the nice thin smoke like I mentioned in my opening post.[p]I went ahead and put on my fist victim being two Boston butts (bone in). I had prepped the meat the night before with yellow mustard rubbed all over it and then a dry spice rub that I make patted in on top. Normally when I use my offset smoker it goes for around 1 ½ hours per pound. I am thinking the same but let me know if the ratio is different please. I have the smoker stabilized at 225 degrees. The clock is ticking but they are done when they are done is how I am approaching it. I normally pull at 195 degrees. I then wrap them in foil. I then wrap that in a blanket and put it in a cooler to hold, in the safe temperature range, for around an hour. I will then go ahead and pull the pork.[p]I do web stuff a lot. I have been taking snap shots all the way. I went ahead and made a gallery. If anyone is interested they are posted here:[p]http://67.59.143.91/images/big-green-egg-smoker/[p]I also posted this link below so it is "clickable". I made the theme green, I thought it went well . I will update the gallery as I go along tonight.[p]Take care and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the help,[p]Brian
    a.k.a Reflect[p]

[ul][li]http://67.59.143.91/images/big-green-egg-smoker/[/ul]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Brian,
    Everything sounds right. Keep in mind, if you are using the installed dome thermometer, that dome temp is not grid temp. 225 dome is probably around 200 grid. If you do not have another thermometer to check grid, you can remove the dome thermometer and place the stem between the dome and body of the Egg to see the difference. Make sure you put it in the area of one of the legs of the platesetter so you aren't reading direct heat.