Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone and firebricks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE for about 3 years now and just got around to buying the pizza stone today. From what I can gather people are also using firebricks to place under it? So now I'm left wondering if there is someone out there that can outline the series of steps needed to making an outstanding pie? IE are firebricks needed and where would one get them, ideal temp, is the stone placed in the egg while the BGE heats up, etc.? many thanks in advance.[p]dan

Comments

• Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Options
    dang,[p]Just check out Spin's set of recipes in the pizza section. Make sure you heat the stone for at least a half an hour if you want a crisp crust...I actually keep mine in longer. The best pizza joints have their oven temps at about 600 degrees, so the Egg is a great home oven for baking.[p]Peddler
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    dang it dang, your using one of my favorite 4 letter words..Dang..:-)
    First..let me clear up some misconceptions Firebricks and plate setters.
    Both are ceramic, or should be.
    Both have their uses, and neither should be considered a competitor to the other.
    I have both, and use both and there are times a plate setter will not work as well, and times when both are required in my cooks..not everyones.
    First.. The plate setter.
    Its (as you know now) has three legs, and comes in several sizes. Its function in one position is standing on its legs as a pizza, bread, or any other bake platform. It places the baking surface nicely at or above the lip edges of the BGE.
    Its function has come into its own since JJ's wife found these in Daven's (I think) ceramic shop in Atlanta. Ga.
    If you invert it, it becomes a firebarrier for indirect cooks, mostly in the low and slow range. With the leg's pointed upward, you set another grill on top of the legs, and a drip pan on the inverted side of the plate setter for indirect cooking.
    There are several approaches to the pizza cook. Spin has adapted the setter with a additional pizza stone on top for thickness. I will let Spin describe that in more detail.[p]More in line with your question, I personally use 2 firebricks on a lower grill flat, 2 to 3 firebricks on edge in a dual or triangle placing with a 2nd grill on top of the firebricks. I use a single pizza stone on the top grill.[p]Or I use my plate setter individually with the two flat firebricks underneath resting on the lower grill about 3 inches below the plate setter. I have yet to use the setter for a indirect cook as my old firebricks love and keep that job for themselves...:-)[p]If one wanted to make square pizza, one could use 2 firebricks below, and two firebricks on the top grill and bake a 9 x 9" square pizza right on the firebricks.[p]So it all depends on how and what you wish to cook and how it will work the best for you in your BGE, Large, Medium or Small. When your ready ..we will try and help you assemble your hardware...
    Hope this explains it a bit..if confusing my apology. Everyone is his own master of his BGE.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]thanks for the quick response. Where would one find these firebricks and what would I be asking for? Also, due you place the cold stone on the firebricks are is it in there while the everything else is getting hot? Friday nite is pizza night at my house and I'm looking forward to some home baked pie![p]Cheers,[p]btw, its dan g... but I like dang as well....[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    DanG...I just changed your handle and I am laffin out loud..
    Firebricks are found in most woodburning or fireplace centers, or in Lowes, or Menards Home improvement centers. If you want to see Firebricks originals..check the website at Rutland below.
    Hookay..the pizza question. You all hang loose here and there are some top notch pizza tosser's here. And if they don't fill the bill, I will try and e.mail ya a step by step run of the mill type pizza do. But its more interesting to see the "quote NatureBoy, Stylin and smilin" pizza's that show up. Spin is our pizza leader, and we all try to out do him. He has class, and thats hard to out do.
    Cheers..and hang on..here they come!!

[ul][li]Rutland FireBricks.[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    DanG..no, firebricks are a accessory and add ceramic mass under the stone, but are not totally needed for a pizza cook. Many successful pizza are done without them. I like em and use em.
    You could use a round, or square pan under the plate setter with water in it as a deflector. Spin or others can suggest what works for them successfully.[p]My setup is two firebricks flat, and my setter is on its legs..and I heat the entire mass to 500 to 550F degrees. I have switched to prebaking all of my pizza dough prior to the applications of sauce and ingredients. It only takes 5 minutes and then the dough is semi cooked and starting to crisp up..It slides nicely off the stone back on to the peel. Its best to add some punctures to the dough with a fork prior to the prebake. Keeps most of the bubbles out. The bubbles don't hurt much as they can be deflated. Before I put anything on, I spray the dough edges and the center very lightly with olive oil. This helps to crisp and brown the dough and helps prevent the sauce from over moisturizing it. It only takes about 1 minute to apply the sauce, cheese, and ingredients. I toss on just a tad more sauce and cheese on top. Mix in some cheddar, and mozzerella in the cheese toppings. The cook/bake will take about 12 to 15 more additional minutes. This is a really easy method of pizza handling for entry for the beginner in peel to stone and visa versa handling.
    Shucks..I was gonna wait..
    Cheers..
    C~W

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    DanG
    I'm a relative newcomer here but am closing in on cooking an excellent pizza. It's not the easiest thing to do and you'll have to play with it some. I've cooked 3 on my egg and think I now have most all the kinks worked out. So, if it isn't perfect first go round, don't be detered. Just cook again.
    The way I set mine up is once the coal is started, I put the plate setter on the grill, feet down, put the pizza stone on top of the plate setter and let them come up to temp.
    Good luck and good cooking. And don't forget to report back!

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    dang,[p]Great name. I use a Pizza stone on top of the firebricks in the same congiguration as you would use for a butt per Tim, C~W et al. You can use Spin's dough or my favorite Pilsbury pre-made pizza dough, plus your favorite homemade or pre-made sauce and whatever toppings you like. I personally like shredded Jimmy Dean sausage(pre-cooked) + pepperoni + onions.[p]I get the temp to 500(large BGE) and sprinkle liberal amounts of cornmeal on the stone just before I put the pizza on. It typically takes 10-12 minutes to cook. I usually watch it by shining a flashlight in the top of the egg to tell when it's done.[p]I hope this helps,
    Alan

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby,[p]well I'm here to report that my first pizza bake went very well. I violated every rule in the book and did my first pie with a house full of guests. A simple red and it was a huge hit. The second, third and fourth were good but I'll always remember that first one. Other then a cracked firebox (huge bummer!) everyone loved it including my fussy seven year old. Thanks to all for all the help![p]best,[p]DanG

• Char-Woody
    Options
    DanG, Good on the pizza...I agree, bummer on the firechamber. Did you hear a clink..or ?? What temperature were you running and how long have you had the BGE??
    C~W
    BTW..if its not a total disaster, but just a crack, its a non essential thing..it will do the same job as a solid one. If a large hunk is broken out, then we can try to repair it with furnace cement. [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Now my seven year wants "daddy's famous pizza" again tonight... now thats music to my ears![p]No, I didn't hear the firebox go pop. It's a hairline fracture. Temps? While I'm had the dome therm go higher in the past I think the firebricks contained most of the heat in the firebox area (dome therm only reached 600). I've had 3 years of black gooey buildup that is now all burned off. [p]I'm still considering a plate setter.[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    DanG, are you using the very thick brick or the 1.25 thick by 4.5 x 9" brick. I only use two of the latter under my pizza stone or plate setter and if using a pizza stone I use two or three to rest the stone on in addition. Try using a bit coarser charcoal to get to the higher heat levels. 600 should be more than adequate for a pizza. 450 to 500 will work also,,but takes more time..15 minutes or more per pizza.
    Also..prebaking your crust at the 400F level..then applying your sauce and mixes and re inserting will give you a nice pizza at 500F to finish it off.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]