Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cutting ceramic material

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Received my plate setter for the mini, it's to big so I would like to cut the three legs off and cement them back on after removing enough material to get the proper size.
What tool will cut the ceramic material (if any) for a home shop??????
I have not tried anything yet, thought I should wait for an answer from a higher authority.
New Bob

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    New Bob, untill Higher Authority comes around, just how much do you have to "trim to get slim"..??[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    New Bob,
    Tomorrow I am going to the rental shop to rent a tub saw (wet saw), for cutting my concrete pavers. This would be the tool that comes to mind for me as being perfect for your job. You need a blade that is very hard, and some cooling mechanism (like water). Most tool rental places have these. [p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, bout time you showed up.. I was promting JJ to answer this one..:-)
    Thats pretty good..at the same moment, I was thinking about a masonary blade in a table saw at full up position. It would require a home made jig to rotate a triangle to just smooth the edges of a vertical leg. Depending on the full width and height of the up right leg. And a good set of safety goggles.
    Just thoughts..You here yet JJ??
    C~W

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    New Bob,
    Not an easy job for a DIY. Best get a small pizza stone and some small fire bricks.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    JJ, last year I had to remove ceramic legs from small kiln tables for a neighbor, I used a hand held 4" dewalt grider with a disc meant for ceramic tile, I etched the legs all the way around and then gave then a gentle yet firm clout with a dead blow hammer, it worked well on all the legs and broke only where it was meant to break, I ground down 3/16" at the most, face mask and some goggles...[p]please keep the comments about the hammer to a dull roar..[p]Mop![p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mop,
    I understand the terminology. The way I interpeted his post was that removing the legs was just 1 phase of the project the other being reducing the circuferance of the surface.

• Mop
    JJ, I realize that, I was just noting that, that would be for one way for him to remove the legs..
    Or just drop the idea for the work and mess involved and just get the right one, attaching the legs will be another issue...[p]Mop[p]

• Char-Woody
    Mop, from past experience..just ship it to yourself via UPS and it will come automatically leg-less..heeeyaaa.

• Mop
    Char-Woody, truer words have never been spoken, I agree, a lot safer an a ton less work..[p]Mop!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Mop,
    Yes, attaching the legs will be another issue...[p]ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    New Bob,[p]Probably too late to do you any good, but I use 6x6 (2 stacked) non glazed tiles to make mini pizza on the mini. It's much cheaper than buying the other stuff.[p]Cheers,
    alan

• Bordello
    Char-Woody,
    About 1/2 inch, the plate setter was listed at 10 inches diameter but that was to the "inside" of the legs, it's 10 1/2 inches to the outside of them.[p]Thanks to all that responded to my post. It would cost to much to returned the plate setter because of shipping cost so I might as well see if I can make it fit, I can always throw it in the trash if something goes wrong. After reading all the response's I think I will try using my mikita 4 1/2 inch trim saw with a diamond blade to see if it will cut through the ceramic so I can get the legs off. ( goggles for sure). If that works I will put a small hole in the center, then put it on a nail and rotate it to grind it to the diameter I need, if that works I will try to cement the legs on with rutland cement. Not sure if it will work but will give it the old college try. My thanks to all.
    Happy Q'n.
    New Bob

• Char-Woody
    New Bob, sounds like a plan...for all your trouble..you may wish to just shelve it and get a small pizza stone and some ceramic cones from a kiln ceramic shop like Davens. They are cheap and will serve as legs. Small flower pots also can be used. I think TankerTim used some in England one time for risers.
    Cheers..
    C~W

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Char-Woody,[p]You're gonna get me into trouble laughing out loud at work. [p]Brant
    (Still hanging onto my two-legged plate setter)

• Char-Woody
    Brant, I use a smaller thinner (Earls size) firebrick for a third leg..works great..Just prop it under the edge sidways.
    :-)..Yep..UPS is a reliable fixer upper..heeeyaaa.
    C~W[p]

• Bordello
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the input, may decide to just do that. I would like to see if I can at least cut the legs off and keep the round part of it to use. Always great advise from all the egg'ers on the forum.
    Keep on Egg'n
    New Bob