Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What time should I start my butt?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read Naked Whiz, Wessb and some others and still not sure what time I should start my first butts. There are two, total weight is 14# one is slightly smaller. I figure 15 to 20 hours. I'm thinking about a start time of 2-3 this afternoon. I don't care what time it is done Sunday just dont want to have it finish in the wee hours of the morning.
Thanks Jim & KayNOcook

·

Comments

• Jupiter Jim, my guess is that it will probably take somewhere between ten and fourteen hours to cook.

·
  • Jupiter Jim,
    I would put the meat on at 6 PM. 12 hour min and if it goes the full 20 it is still only 2 PM on Sunday and you can be ready to watch the US Open.[p]Lazydog

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Jupiter Jim,
    at seven pounds, i'd allow 14 hours, but be prepared for 12 or so.[p]why start it earlier? i figure i start them around 11pm, and i can slow the cook down if i need to when i get up in the am. drop temps back if req'd and time it for about 2 o'clock.[p]one thing you can do if you are bound and determined to start early is do the initial part of the cook at 220-225 while you are there to monitor temps. that will stretch out the cook too.[p]i'd suggest though, simplest thing is to start later tonight.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Chuck/Tx,
    I am new to the egg, but I just cooked a 15 lb. shoulder last night on mine (Father's Day gift) I cooked it at 250 degrees for 15 hours, wrapped it in Reynolds wrap and am letting it cool down to where I can pull it this afternoon. It came out perfect.

·
  • Jupiter Jim,
    Thanks to everyone for all your help. We will start later tonight and will let ya know how things are tomorrow.
    Jupiter Jim and KayNOcook
    PS KayNOcook is helping!!! Moral support only!!!

·
  • Roger Creason, 2 hours per pound is only a rule-of-thumb. Most of the ones I've cooked haven't taken that long, but some have. If I need to have one done by a certain time, I allow 2 hours per pound just to be on the safe side.

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Jupiter Jim,
    I put 14.5 lbs, one large and one small, last night at 7:00. The small one came off 2 hours ago and the large is ready now. 16 hours total. -RP

·