Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I checked the archives and could not find anything about cooking a flank steak on the egg. Had one at a Mexican restaurant and would like to try one on my own. This is my first posting on the forum so be nice. Thanks.[p]Green Egg Mike

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Green Egg Mike, thats the only way we are...and welcome to the forum..
    I was just reaching for the kiil switch..:-)
    How soon do you need the assistance, and there are some flank steak advisors here..
    Basically, the flank is a neck or near the asophogus (sp) in the neck and only one to a bovine.
    Here is a recipe you might like and I will add a addendum to it.
    Serves: 4 to 6[p]2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    One 1 1/2- to 2-pound flank steak
    Pineapple Salsa
    Preheat the grill to high heat. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients except the steak; mix well. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the steak.
    Grill the steak for 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium, or until desired doneness. Cut the steak across the grain into thin slices and serve with Pineapple Salsa for a refreshing zest.

In the BGE, at high heat of 600F to 750F degrees cut the time to 3 minutes to 4 minutes per side, and then close the dome shut the top and close the bottom vents..let it dwell for another 5 to 8 minutes depending on your requirements.. Use a good instant read thermometer for 135 rare, 145 medium 155 medim well..and so forth.
    Good luck..others will be assisting also..And good nite folks..someone turn out the lights!! :-)
    C~W[p][p]

[ul][li]Recipe source...link[/ul]
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Green Egg Mike,[p]I just Egged a flank steak this weekend and we were thoughly pleased with the hunk of meat.[p]I did a very simple process. Last weekend, I pounded the meat senseless to get it a little more tender. Then I seasoned it with a Cajun seasoning (Tony Chacherie's), then laid on the virgin olive oil. Wrapped in plastic wrap and it sat in the refrigerator for a week. [p]Put it on the grill at 175-200 over misquite for a half hour (we like heavy smoke flavor). Let the temp rise slowly to about 300, which took about a half hour, then turned the steak and cooked it at 300 for 5 or so minutes to brown that side.[p]Came out tender as all get out, and the taste was, well, to be honest, what the BGE is all about[p]See Ya
    Cajun

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You guys treated me real nice. Thanks for the help. I'm going to give that Flank Steak a try next weekend.
    Green Egg Mike

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Green Egg Mike, Glad you liked the group..many good suggestions for ya. Ask anything you want, at anytime. Some one will give you a basically good answer.
    C~W[p]