Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Just roll the dice..

NewbsNewbs Posts: 188
edited 4:20AM in EggHead Forum
I guess its always a bit of a craps shoot when you try to time a pork butt cook. Last time, I did two 9lb butts. Put them on my large at 9pm.
22 hours later, one was done and the other took a further two hours to reach 200F. Was in a minor panic because I had 22 people waiting patiently for dinner and they'd been waiting for about 2 hours. It was after 7pm when I finally got the first one served up.
Didn't want to make that same mistake this time. Put it on nice and early...4pm. Same temps, same sized butts. Same preparation method.
Same, same, same. NOPE! Just under 12 hours into the cook...my alarm went off letting me know that we'd reached 200F. Yes. 3:30am. Problem...I'm at work. Wasn't expecting these babies to reach temp until a couple hours after I get home. Wife had to go out and bring the pork in off the grill, wrap it up in foil and towels and put it in the cooler. I'd better stop off for flowers on the way home. Wish me luck. LOL![p]John

·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,517
    Newbs,[p]Flowers... and candy![p]gdenby

·
  • Newbs,
    She's a keeper for sure.
    Jim

·
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    gdenby,
    And make sure she's the first one to go thru the food line![p]Gwen

·
  • Newbs,
    If you were fixing the butts for her friends then she should not gripe to much about having to help a little bit.
    Maybe next time you should send her to work and you can take the butts off.

·