Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi new egg owner-great deal

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was talking at work about buying an egg. My boss overheard me and said he was wanting to upgrade to a large and he would sell me his medium for $250.00. I jumped and said yes. He said he only used it 10 times. I got it and he had left it uncovered for a year. The bolts were rusted and the bottom vent needed replacing. I went to my local dealer and bought a new handle, a new bottom vent and replaced all the rusted bolts. The egg is now perfect. I also bought a cover (duh). The egg has the old (covented swing wheel-no daisy wheel) I have cooked on it 6 times and love it. The medium also came with the hinge that you have to pull the lever to close the lid. I guess this is older and they stopped producing these due to drunk people falling into the fire. I personally like it. Anything I need to do?

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    "Anything I need to do"--semineweggowner,[p]Yes, please post Pic's of all your good cooks. Congratulations, you'll love the Egg.
  • Boxerpapa, Will do-the Egg did not come with the rain cap as my boss is still lokking. Is it necessary with the cover?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    semineweggowner,
    only thing I can think of is to quit knocking your boss for not covering the egg, loseing the rain cap and assuming your boss only had "drunks" over so he shouldn't have had the old style locking hinge! BTW welcome to the BGE world as at $250 you got a bargain IMHO!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    semineweggowner,[p]Well, being a newbie myself, I would assume you would need both for the rainy season. Cover for not using the Egg and rain cap for using the Egg. [p]I have a covered patio, so I don't need the rain cap, but i will be getting a cover for mine...just in case.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    semineweggowner,
    I would recommend the green ceramic cap. It does a fantastic job of putting out the fire faster when your done cooking... remember to close the lower vent too to smother the fire out.[p]Check out the link below to master the egg ;=)

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • Boxerpapa,
    I've seen you on here many times and your're a newbie too.? Glad to type at you.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Boxerpapa,
    Here is were mine live....without the rain caps or covers.[p]HappyFamily.jpg[p]I had to replace my bottom vent several years ago. It was not the stainless they use now so it rusted. The bolts on the bands are rusty but they are fine. I've got the really old style hinges on the large.....they've got surface rust too.[p]Some things just add character.

• bambino
    bambino Posts: 6
    semineweggowner,
    I recall someone mentioning that the ash tool with its curly que on the end of the handle was originally designed to assist in closing the old style hinge so that you didn't have to lean over. Can't verify but if you have the ash tool you might want to give it a try.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    semineweggowner,[p]The only hitch in the old style lever hinge is having friends over and them trying to close the lid without pulling the hinge. If they pull hard enough, rumor has it that they could force the top 1/2 of the egg right off. My medium has that style hinge, and I've never had a problem, but remember to tell your guests how to close it.