Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg-dried Tomatoes

Options
omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There are parts of me that are definitely Italian. There are other parts linked back to scatters around the Mediterranean. Everyone in my family tree loves tomatoes. Except me! I have never liked them in their raw state.
"How can you like tomato sauce, and ketchup, and pizza, and not like tomatoes?," my friends and family would say.
"I don't know."
And whenever I order salad, the tomatoes wind up on someone else's plate or never leave the kitchen.
Anyway ...
I was given some tomatoes the other day. (Obviously even my neighbors figure that I MUST like tomatoes!) I had to do something with them, right? Eating them raw was NOT an option. Hmmmm?
I don't need any sauce.
I don't feel like making Mexican.
What's coming this weekend?
Pizza for sure!
Last time I used some sun-dried tomatoes on a pie.
Hmmmm?
How about egg-dried tomatoes! :-)[p]tomatoes1.jpg[/p][p]OK ... got the goodies together. First made an olive oil drizzle/soak with some fresh basil, chopped garlic, hot dry red pepper, and a touch of dry oregano. I let that sit for about half hour while I played with some dough for pizza this weekend.[p]tomatoes2.jpg[p]Sliced the plum tomatoes in half and covered them with the goop.[p]tomatoes3.jpg[p]Put the tray on the egg. Indirect. Grid temp was 225.[p]tomatoes4.jpg[p]Six hours later they looked done to me! Still a bit moist, but they were nicely shriveled.[p]tomatoes5.jpg[p]After a short cooling off, I put the tomatoes in a plastic container, covered with some more olive oil, and refrigerated the whole thing.[/p][p]Now what?[p]Later ... and thanks for listening,
Peter

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    omba,[p]""How can you like tomato sauce, and ketchup, and pizza, and not like tomatoes?," my friends and family would say""[p]Well----None of the kids will eat onions but they sure love onion rings--sound familar?[p]Hey where did you pick up the pan. It's exactly what I've been looking for.[p]Thanks

• Unknown
    Options
    omba,
    wow, they look great...might have to head to farmer's market and make me a batch... in addition to pizza, they could be chopped/sliced finely and served as a pasta sauce (use a couple tablespoons of the soaking oil, too)...as a topper for egg-baked potatoes...used in a chopped salad (cucumber, feta, and olives?)...their smoky taste would make great deviled eggs (grind or process tomatoes til a paste and stir into yolks with a little mayo...put a small slice as garnish on each)... or you could put a ribbon on the container and give them back to your neighbors!...anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

• omba
    Options
    BYC,
    I have a wonderful wife who gave it to me for being a nice guy! :-)
    I don't know where she got it, but I'll ask when she gets home tomorrow.
    In the meantime ... I'm willing to bet that one of the heavy hitters (a.k.a. "regulars") will know and probably get the answer to you before I do. :-)

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    omba,[p]Those look really good- thanks for the idea....[p]BIg T

• Unknown
    Options
    omba,
    Awesome! I'm trying it. Thanks!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P1010066-1.jpg
    <p />omba,[p]I too...do those quite often!![p]It's a good way to coax some flavor out of "off season" Romas in the winter too!!![p]They sure dont last real long around here though!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • omba
    Options
    Chubby,
    Is that some balsamic vinegar that I see?[p]TIA,
    Peter

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    omba,
    Sun-dried tomato pasta. Around here, this is the basis for "pasta inventorio," which contains any manner of things I throw in, but I love this all by itself, too:[p]olive oil--about 4T
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 cloves of garlic, chopped to your liking
    pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced parallel to their equators into thirds or fourths--I use 15 or 20 olives.
    capers--about a tablespoon, I guess
    1/2 C sun-dried (or egg-dried) tomatoes
    pasta (your choice on the shape)[p]Gently saute the onions and garlic in about 2T of olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the capers and olives, turning down the heat, if necessary, to prevent any onion or garlic scorching.
    When your water boils and you put the noodles on, add the sun-dried tomatoes to the onion mixture. If they cook too long, they become bitter. Add more olive oil if there is too high of a good-stuff-to-olive-oil ratio. You'll learn the ratio that pleases you by experimentation.[p]Serve over your favorite noodle shape topped with freshly ground pepper and good (Reggiano) parmesan. Any of the long noodles that require "winding" will lose all the good stuff and require "spearing" of said good stuff. I like to use ziti or something similar. I would also not add salt to anything (not even the water) until you taste. The olives and capers bring a lot of salt to the dish.[p]Additions that make this even better:
    leftover grilled chicken - the deeper the smoke flavor the better it holds up to the olives and capers.
    leftover asparagus
    leftover broccoli
    leftover zucchini
    leftover shrimp (if there is such a thing), but add it at the very last minute or with just enough time left to warm it through.[p]I might just have to do that this weekend. I'm making myself hungry. Happy cooking to you.[p]Joyce

• omba
    Options
    Trouble,
    mmm ... sounds like a winner.[p]Thanks.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    omba,[p]I did Roasted Tomatoes with Artichoke Puree at one of the fests one year and numerous times since and they're awesome as an appetizer. When you're done roasting the tomatoes, pipe or spoon the puree on top and serve up as appetizers. I'll try and find the recipe for you. It may also be in one of the eggfest cookbooks.[p]Tonia
    :~)