Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting to get concerned (i knows, i know)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, a 5.5ish pound boneless butt went on at 11 o'clock today. I tossed in some soaked cherry chunks just before I put the butt on. I left for about three hours and didn't witness the smoking.[p]normal_IMG_2171.jpg[p]When I came back, I just had to peek. I haven't done it since, I promise. Looking at the photo and remembering what I saw when I looked in, the cherry wood was sitting on top, unconsumed. So does that mean I haven't gotten any flavor? Is that a concern?[p]normal_IMG_2172.jpg[p]I also noted that it didn't have any "bark" like some of the other photos. Maybe that's just because of the bacon? I've had a helluva time keeping the temp stabilized. [p]The meat is sitting at 172 now after about eight and a half hours. Maverick/Grid says the temp is 234-240 most of the time but has been going up as far as 267.[p]At this point, does it matter?

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    Well bark won't form where this a lot of fat. The bacon will keep the bark from forming because of all the fat in it.[p]Sounds like your temps are just fine.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    if you jostle the chunks around, you'll still get smoke flavor. doesn' matter when you add smoke. you probably have a smoke ring anyway, from the lump.[p]bacon is probably what nixed the bark, as you suggested.[p]no issues here, just wiggle the chunks into some burning lump.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    You might want to pull that bacon off and snack on it while the butt finishes. You'll have a better chance for bark without it. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    AZRP,[p]You know, that's a good idea. in fact, I am just about to make some of Alton Brown's French Toast for dinner. It's a special request from my wife.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,[p]I noticed it looks like you have foil wrapped around your probe wires. If not mistaken, I though I read somewhere that may be a bad idea as it can make the temp even higher for the probe wire (I presume protecting the probe wires was your idea). I was wondering if you had had any experience with that. I ask because I have a Maverick on order that should get here later this week. Thanks for any info, and sorry for the slight hijack.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    I just watched that episode tonight. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    Man Hands,[p]I read a lot of posts here this week while mine was on order. This is my first low and slow.[p]I think the general consensus is, as smoking temp, it really doesn't make a different. the actual probe isn't covered. the reasl reason to put foil on is to keep the wires clean.
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Man Hands,
    Don't foil your probe, It should take temps up to 350 or so, like mine is doing right now in the brie and mushroom stuffed meatloaf.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    Nope, don't foil.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    wobin,
    Brie and mushroom stuffed meatloaf??? Is there a recipe around here somewhere for that? I am so hungry right now and that sounds soooo good.[p]Gwen

• Unknown
    Options
    wobin,[p]Speaking of foiling. I'm itching to take this thing off. When I pulled the bacon off, the bacon was super dry and crispy.[p]Since this is boneless, the thing is sort of in four smaller chunks. It seems to have fallen "open", which makes me wonder if it hasn't been getting a lot more surface heat than is good.[p]It's about 184 degrees now. Somehow, the temp of the probe spiked to 300. (bonus, the cherry wood that didn't smoke caught fire and smoked a little). I brought the temp back down to 262 now.[p]I guess I'm just freakin'.
  • grilln & chilln
    Options
    I've pulled mine several times in the mid to upper 180's and never had a problem. They always pulled just fine. If it's been 1.5 hrs per pound or more and if it's already falling apart, it's probably fine to pull. Just my 2 cents.
  • Unknown
    Options
    AZRP,
    He'll be able to tell how much smoke the butt got from the bacon too.