Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging on a boat

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of trying to rig up a mini or small egg on a bracket that will hang off the back of a boat. Has anyone tried to do this? Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Peppedog,
    that topic appears from time to time and the answer always is "yes you can but better check with your insurance agent and he'll probably tell you NO WAY, JOSE!"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Peppedog,[p] I'll recover it for you when it goes KA-PLUNK!! Just pay for my air and travel cost.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    Peppedog,
    i've seen a squirrel that jet skis, but haven't seen an egg wake board yet. that might be cool![p]i don't know what kind of boat that you would be sailing on and not certain why you have the need to hang it over the edge. but if there is a will there will be a way.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Peppedog,
    We have used our mini right in the cockpit numerous times with no issues...can`t seem to locate any pics of it in operation...but it aint that big of a deal.....just use a little common sense and you should have no problems..[p]Wess

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Peppedog,
    I understand what kind of a setup you are thinking of, but I don't know if I would hang my egg over the side of the boat. Too iffy getting it in & out of the rig. (although a mini might not be so bad)[p]We take our small on the boat all the time, but we just set it up on one of the decks.[p]eggtrip2.jpg[p]brentburgers2.jpg[p]mecooking.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p] Yeah, but that boat makes a large look like a mini---[p]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Peppedog,[p]Burns like hell! And it doesn't take much either.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]And I notice that you have the getaway boat hanging right above the Egg in that first photo . . . somehow I picture a James Bond movie starting that way . . .
  • Poodlemom
    Poodlemom Posts: 85
    Options
    Peppedog,
    We actually saw our first egg while on a deep sea fishing trip. Orange Beach AL - these guys had created a stainless steel stand with rubber tips on the legs and ultimately drilled it into the fiberglass. Lots of boats at Zeke's Marina in Orange Beach have BGE's!!!

• Poodlemom
    Options
    EggOctoberfestFall06058-1.jpg
    <p />Peppedog,
    Found a pix

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Poodlemom,[p]I am intrigued by the stainless bands versus standard black bands. Where did those come from? Also that looks much like my boat. Although, that one is MUCH larger than mine. Is it a Ocean Yacht 73 footer Super or Viking 74C?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ad610344.jpg
    <p />Peppedog,
    i would make something like this an attach it to a gimbal mount for ease of putting it on and off the boat. my boat rocks too much for an egg, and its very hard riding in rough water which would probably crack the egg, but some boats have a more friendly ride. i am one of the few that would egg on a boat, i am also one of a few that would not egg again on the deck of the house. atleast on a boat you will be there to watch things. in my younger days i used to fish offshore in a 13 foot canoe w 3 horse motor for bluefish, imagine a small canoe 5 miles out trolling with 2 very dumb guys, a big german shepard and a coleman stove cooking sausages onions and peppers with about 3 inches of freeboard. i would go with the mini for faster grilling unless your cooks will be at the dock

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Poodlemom
    Options
    BYC,
    I have no idea where they came from or what type of boat. We went out fishing on the boat, it has been a couple of years - can't remember. This was our first experience with the BGE.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    good thing you were smart enough not to drink beer in that canoe

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    stike,
    there is only so much you can put in a canoe, we used to drag the beer in a net to keep it cold. if you want to know what is scarier than being waked by a 40 footer in a canoe, try fly fishing from a float tube out about 3 miles for stripers and get surrounded by angry seals. my boat is bigger now, but it just keeps getting worse. after drinking a few pitchers at federal jacks (shipyard brewery resteraunt) squall picks up after rounding bush's house in kennebunkport, wave to the secret service and head north, seas pick up to 20 feet and we cant turn back with the wave curls, over one 20 footer we find a hole in the ocean, must have been 40 feet from the wave top. we hit the bottom so hard that me, brother, and dog are now laying flat on the deck as the boat takes an elevator ride to the top of the next wave. a few hours of this and we make bideford pools calm protected bay, and run out of gas.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    holy cr^p....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Ayuh, you know your from Maine when...

• Ken Roach
    Options
    Two months ago I gave up land and moved onto my sailboat full time. The Large BGE is at my Dad's place, so he knows whenever I visit we're eating Egged.

Lord, I miss the Egg. For a month I didn't even have a propane stove and lived on takeout and a microwave oven. In my world, that's *privation*.

Both my marina and my insurance company seem to have no problem with the charcoal stainless kettle hanging off the stern rail, but I just can't get over the fact that it's between my propane bottle and the vent from my gasoline tank. Even though the ignition risks are about the same per hour, I'd say the longer and more frequent cooks on the BGE will increase the fire risk to an unacceptable level.

I could imagine building a nest for the egg forward of the steering pedestal, but that's where the spare jerrycans are. Even absent those, I think I'd fret about running a charcoal fire in the cockpit.

That leaves me with the option of keeping a Mini in the dock box and running it in the grassy uplands along busy Northlake Way, where I'd have to chain it to a tree if I expected it to cool down unattended without getting swiped.

And you know, the lure of Egging is about enough to make me do exactly that.