Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great Brined Pork Chops

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, everyone. Although I haven't tried this, the ratings in the Epicurious website of recipes from Bon Appetite were "4 forks", which is tops. It looks good, considering it has an acceptable amount of garlic (love those big recipes that call for 1 clove of garlic--go figure). I thought I would repay everyone for the recent help on my "newbie" questions. I'm going to do this one real soon--if anyone tries it, please report![p]BEER-BRINED GRILLED PORK CHOPS [p]
Brining the chops makes them moist.
2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer
1/4 cup coarse salt
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
1 cup ice cubes
6 1- to 1 1/4-inch-thick center-cut bone-in pork chops[p]7 large garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried sage leaves [p]Combine 2 cups water, beer, 1/4 cup coarse salt, sugar, and molasses in large bowl. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in ice. Place pork chops in large resealable plastic bag. Pour beer brine over pork chops; seal bag. Refrigerate 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. [p]Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove pork chops from beer brine; pat dry. Mix garlic, pepper, 2 teaspoons salt, and sage in small bowl. Rub garlic mixture over both sides of pork chops. Grill pork chops until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of chops registers 145°F to 150°F, about 10 minutes per side, occasionally moving chops to cooler part of rack if burning. Transfer chops to platter; cover with foil, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve. [p]Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
July 2001

[p] [p]

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Gail,[p]Sounds good. Perhaps I'll try this next time I do chops (perhaps on Sunday). I also like those recipes on epicurious.com Good luck if you try these before me and, if you do, let us know how they turn out.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Gail,
    I've done these several times, using different rubs each time. My personal favorite is some ginger, cilantro, and garlic, finishing up with a teriyaki glaze......mmmmmm.[p]They really are very moist when brined this way. By the way, I just use whatever beer I have around.....I'm sure dark lager would be good, but not really necessary.[p]Jim