Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising the grid

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

What do you use, besides firebricks, to raise your grid about 4 or 5 inches? I have never found the firebrick splits, and when I want to raise the grid, those large bricks take up too much grill space and the Egg takes longer to heat up because of them, too. I am not talking about low and slow cooking, but sometimes just to do chicken or even kabobs, which I do not like when they are done so close to the fire. I'll look for splits again, but just thought I'd ask the BGEer's first. I've often wondered why there isn't a 2nd fire ring to put on top of the other if you'd prefer.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    gratedetail.jpg
    <p />EJ,
    I made one of these for my small and large eggs using stailess steel carriage bolts and cheap weber grids from Home Depot.
    Larry

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    EJ,
    You could buy another grate and use fender washers, bolts and nuts to make legs for it (4) legs would be best. Then place it on top of your other grate and go for it.
    With a couple sets of different length bolts you could easily modify it for different heights.
    If you have a large you could buy the new grate with the fold out legs.
    B D[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    YB,[p]Thanks to both of you. I think I could do this !
    EJ

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    YB,
    Wow, you allmost ran me over while I was typing. We both had the same idea but yours included a pic. Nice Touch.
    Regards,
    B D

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />Big Daddy,
    Thanks.Here is another picture showing how it fits flush with the opening.
    Larry

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    EJ,
    BGE sells a 'grill extender' that provides a second cooking grate above the first. I also use a second fire ring on my small and, while I haven't measured it, I see no reason why a second fire ring wouldn't work for the large.
    JimW