Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about juniper berries and pork loin

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of the best pork loin I ever had was done with Juniper berries and a cherry sauce with whole cherries. This suggests modification to Mr. Toad's Pork Loin. My question is how one would handle the juniper berries. Does one crush them and spread them around? Does one leave them whole and pick them out after cooking? Or does one do something different?[p]Thanks! TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Juniper berries are so good in a rub or sauce used on anything pork, I feel no guilt tapping into the available supply that could have been used to make vodka hehehe[p]Crush with mortar and pestle or blender and enjoy as Spin stated. If you come across a recipe with both juniper and cherries, please post. Sounds fascinating.[p]BTW, super job on the cart!![p]K~G

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, speaking as some sort of an authority because I think I have a corner on the juniper berry supply because I bought a quantity to last twenty men a lifetime here's what I have tried...
    I've frozen them,
    I've ground them,
    I've chopped them,
    I've crushed them,
    I've smashed them,
    I've shredded them
    and because of the abundance I've cussed at them and thrown them away as well! [p]All said and done since it takes so few (such as only 12 for a rack of ribs) I take the time to cut them with a knife into little biddy pieces about the size of fresh ground pepper.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KennyG,
    Hey Ken,
    Gin is made out of juniper berries,back in the late 1700's it was used as a medicine.
    Larry

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Don't forget to tell him about those you put on your bran flakes every morning!!!! :-)))[p]You oldies got to have something to help get you "going" every morning! :-)))[p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]Whoops, got my facts wrong. I thought that the difference between gin and vodka is juniper in vodka. No more credibility for the kid.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    KennyG, I suspect that YB is a Gin pro..:-) I not mess with him...:-) JJ says he not up to Julips tho!
    C~W

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Go to www.epicurious.com and do a recipe search for juniper berries. Some very interesting recipes there and most could be adapted to ceramic cooking. The ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH
    CARDAMOM-CURRANT JELLY SAUCE sounds particularly yummy![p]