Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken

Options
Paula
Paula Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]I have had my BGE for 2 years now and just love it. Up until now I have only used it as a grill.[p]I want to explore using the BGE as a smoker. Please give me some advise for smoking a whole chicken. I think this would be a good start. Temperature ? How long ? Prep ? What kind of wood is best ?[p]Any response appreciated Thank you.[p]Paula

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Paula,[p]I do them the same as a turkey breast. The link below will provide many pictures of doing turkey breasts indirect at 325-350 over a drip pan (firebricks or pizza stone is better yet). While this is still in the grilling range, it needs 325 min or it just gets rubbery and never browns. A lite coat of olive oil helps too.[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbq-page26.htm[p]One or two makes no real difference either.[p]Caution: foul absorbs smoke easily. Unless you are sure you like it, just cook your first bird with just the lump itself. It alone adds a tiny amount of smoke taste - enough for my family - or add 1 chunk.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]turkey breasts[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Paula,
    Funny you should ask. I just cooked two spatchcocked chickens over orange wood. Wonderful! See further on down in the forum for the description of how to spatchcock a chicken. Basically, you cut the backbone out and then flatten the resulting chicken. 20minutes on one side, 25 on the second at 350 degrees and you wouldn't believe how tender and juicy it was![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    sp1.jpg
    <p />Paula,
    Here is a photo (I hope) of my two chickens, halfway through the cook. One is plain, the other has McCormick's Garlic Montreal Chicken Spice rubbed on it. Both were good!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, were those chickens braced or not?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    RRP,
    No more bracing jokes. I think the rest of the BGE community has had enough. But yes, they were. With four nice big pieces of firebrick.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Looks so NAKED without that table....................[p]Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p][p]Mick