Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chop Ideas?

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good ideas for some BGE Pork Chops?

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    toomsdpt,
    salt, pepper, egg, 160, eat

• byc,
    Do you mean 160 core temp? If you cook at 160 degress were they thin or was it a slow cook?

• Choose a marinade of choice. I recommend cooking to 145-150 (plenty to kill any trichynosis). Cooking to 160 will tend to dry them out. Just my 2 cents.
  • BYC
    coachfoerster,[p]Sorry---serve at 160 degrees--pull at 148-150--but then I am old school

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    RaginRibChops13.jpg
    <p />toomsdpt,[p]I do 1 1/2 -2' ( Bone-in "Rib Chops" only!!!) [p]T'rex style...just like a beef Ribeye![p]RaginRibChops9.jpg[p]Brine...don't overcook... and they come out great!![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • byc,
    Sweet. I thought I cooked mine too much. I think 160 core is probably a little better than 149. Thanks for the update. Hey byc-I soaked Jack Daniels chips for 30 minutes and added to the lump 5 minutes prior to putting the chops on and got a nice steady smoke flow but really didn't taste too much of the flavor that your supposed to get from these. Have had better success with hickory on most cooks. Any ideas?

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    I cooked some last week that were top notch. Had the butcher cut some bone in center cuts about 1.5 nches thick, right at a pound each. Found a recipe in the BGE collection for brining which called for 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 10 cloves of minced garlic and crushed pepper corns added to six cups water. Brined for about 6 hours, then sprinkled lightly with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick ( I know it's pork, but I like Cow Lick). Fired up the egg to 450, cooked about 10 minutes per side. FANTASTIC!!

Slick
  • Chubby, sure look good. How long do you brine?[p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    toomsdpt,
    There is a recipe in the files called: Grilled Marinated Pork Loin Chops With Habanero Cherry Sauce, posted by Rhum & Jerk is absolutely to die for!!!![p]Takes a little time for the sauce, but this can be made ahead and there is no doubt it is WORTH IT.

• Chubby
    Chuck/Tx,[p]A couple, three...is usually enough![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BYC
    Chubby,[p]I agree and do like to brine. Sourwood honey is coming into season and nothing is better than a honey brine. Coachfoster try Orangewood chunks or large OW wedges for smoke. I honestly believe orangewood is a cooks best kept secret!! I also use JD chips and like the size but find that they lose their sour mash flavor once dried out..I've yet to determine the best time to throw on the meat when looking for heavy smoke--I agree with the blue smoke approach but if you wait that long you do lose a certain amount of "heavy" smoke flavor--I believe we are close as we are winning---:)))))))--mostly in the backyard club, however!![p]David Lee[p]BYC
    Backyard Club

• Chubby
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Look at the difference in color after the Brine.[p]Before:[p]RagingRibChops.jpg[p]Evans[p]After:[p]RagingRibChops1.jpg
  • BYC, Orangewood? I am in Ga. I have never seen these, but would be interested in looking for a heavy smoke flavor. Where could I get these? Whre are you from?

• Chubby
    BYC,[p]Yes!!![p]Sourwood honey...goooood!![p]Evans
  • Chubby, interesting, thanks. We are eating out tomorrow, but will be eggin some brined pork chops Wednesday evening.