Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage Making

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm interested in making home made sausage. Does anybody have suggestions on how to get started? Books, web sites, favorite recipes, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Matt:[p]"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by the late Rytek Kutas is considered a leading book on the subject. He has a couple of videos out as well that are well worth the money. A key to your happiness in making sausage is making it less labor intensive. A "serious" press is well worth the money. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer their grinder attachment is excellent for home use. The link to The Sausage Maker is one of many excellent sources for supplies.
    [ul][li]The Sausage Maker[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Matt:[p]Just another thought . . . Whole boneless butt ground seems to have the right amount of fat to meat ratio for most sausage recipes. I go to one of the many Asian markets for the best price and order 100 to 150 lbs. and a couple of us get together and make sausage. This is a time saver and will let you concentrate on the technical things like seasonings . . . That is the heart of sausage making.
  • Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Matt:[p]Making polish sausage is a tradition in our family. One memory that will always stick with me was my Grandma Gibala yelling at Grandpa in Polish because he had the fire too hot when smoking the links. When I was a younster, I use to pack and turn the crank to stuff the casings.[p]It really pretty basic. I am only familiar with polish sausage. You take a pork butt and cut it into chunks the size of golf balls. It is then chopped (or nowdays run thru a grinder) and placed into a large bowl. You then hand mix in a mixture of salt, garlic and pepper. My oldest brother has the ratios per pound of meat. I honestly can never remember the ratios because he is the one who adds the seasonings. You then pack the mixture into natural casings. (you can get natural casings from the butcher. Make sure you wash them good). You can pack with a hand crank or the KitchenAid attachment works good. We make our links about two feet long and then tie the ends together with cotton twine. After the links are made, they then go into the smoker for four to five hours over hickory coals. The idea is to smoke the sausage only (it will then be about fifty percent cooked). After the links are mahagony colored and somewhat shriveled looking, they come out of the smoker and refrigerated or frozen. You finish cook them as they are consumed. Baked with sauerkrout or pan fried, it is the best.[p]I hope this helps.[p]Carl T
  • Spike
    Spike Posts: 37
    Options
    View?u=1478189&a=11140664&p=41859595
    <p />Carl T,
    hi carl djm5x9 really gave you a good site. the sausage maker can give you anything that you need for your sausage making. here is a pic of some i made.

• Spike
    Spike Posts: 37
    Options
    Matt,
    see my message on sausage making. posted this to carl by mistake. had a week off and was thinking about going to work tomorrow. good excuse for getting the names mixed up.