Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT questions

Options
JimF
JimF Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you add crab or shrimp to the cream cheese, is it cooked or raw?
Do you just split the jalapeno in half and scrap out the seeds or do you have scrap more to reduce the heat?
I have never looked for jalapeno at the grocery store, are they easy to find in chains?[p]Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JimF,
    i don't cook the crab... it's canned though.
    the heat in peppers is mostly in the white tissus to which the seeds are attached. i take the seeds but leave the white veins. that's where the heat is.[p]jalapenos are unavoidable up here in grocery stores (Boston area). you shouldn't have to roam far

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    JimF,
    By the time the bacon gets crisp, a raw shrimp will be well done. Most any grocery store carries jalapenos. I pull off the stem, split lengthwise, and scrape out the stems and seeds. -RP

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    JimF,
    I find them in giant all the time. Be carefull when handling the pepper, preferably use plastic bags on your hands. I cut up about a lb of peppers and my hands were burning up for hours.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AZRP,
    i sometimes par cook the bacon. maybe 30 seconds in the micro

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    JimF,[p]I recommend trying them as everyone else described first, just remove the seed and most of the white membrane, then cook.[p]Allegedly, if they are too hot for you, you can reduce the heat of the peppers by soaking for a few hours in ice water with a teaspoon of vinegar prior to stuffing them. I've never tried this, but a friend of mine does this and swears it works.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Fidel,
    Hummmmm!!! That's a thought. Wonder how "pickled" jalapenos would work for ABT's???[p]My neighbors gave us a deep fryer for our Chicken Coop. We've only used it once but I thought I might try deep frying some traditionally built ABT's to see what they would taste like. Cut'em in slices and serve. Anyone ever try it?[p]Spring "Fry Me A Sliver" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Thinking about making some for Sunday.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Pickled would be awful.They are kind of soft to begin with.Just think what the steam effect would have.Fresh and fried sounds good.But do not do it on the Egg(you of all people should know better.)We dont want yuou to burn down the chicken coop.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    darnoc,[p] It was the Lawn Ranger Winter home that almost burnt down because of a deep frying event...[p] You know that that house he was trying to sell that got him so frustrated that he was forced to take on his son as a partner to finish the back log of tools..[p]Dayum that was a long sentence..[p]
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I wont let you catch me going there.HE HE.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    darnoc,[p] Why not it's just across the street from his summer home..[p]He won't answer my email so I am going to pick on him...[p]
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I was talking about your long sentence.You old gray haired character.Dont you go looking for that hanging noose.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Darnoc,[p]It's a whuppin stick.. Just ask Chubby..
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I wouldn’t try to fry the traditional built ABTs because the cream cheese will tend to melt out and really mess up your grease. Just my .02 from a lot of deep-frying of different things. Now I’m not saying what you had left wouldn’t taste great but the cheese flavor would be lacking and cheese would be floating around in the grease. Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Popsicle,
    Yea... I kinda figured that part out. I was just thinking a "what if" thought, and maybe just hollow out a jalapeno with an apple corer, fill it with some frozen pre-cooked sausage, wrap it well with bacon and deep fry it. Then maybe serve some cream cheese as a side or spread-on after it's cooked.[p]May be something to do just before draining the cooking oil from the fryer, huh?[p]Spring "Anything's Possible Except Maybe Striking A Match On A Wet Bar Of Soap" Chicken[p]

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I always enjoy your sign offs but I gotta ask if you have actually tried that one. lol

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    As a matter of fact, yes, when I was about twelve and was told that striking a match on a wet bar of soap was impossible. I tried using most of a full box of kitchen matches. No, it didn't work, but I tried to cheat by using a bar of Lava. I might give it another try using a high speed drill or something. Naaaaaa... waste of time.[p]Spring "Everything Is Possible Until Proven Not" Chicken

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    You just proved that you were once a boy scout. Too many times I have seen boys attempt such feats.
    Rusty (I love it!!) Rooster

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Mmmmmmmm. If you heat a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and milk, very gently, you can add whatever punch you want (fresh cracked pepper, some rub, a few variations on the theme) and serve as a dipping sauce.[p]Gaining weight just thinking about it.[p]JT