Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE-Dilemma????

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a Lg BGE on Sat. June 2. I have cooked on it every day except one. The food is great. My wife loves it because she is not cooking. The clean up is easy. Managing the temperature is a breeze. I love all of the things you can cook.[p]The dillema is this: I used to spend Saturdays fishing,hunting or playing golf. I know it has only been 2 Saturdays so far but WHEN WILL THE BGE ADDICTION END?????[p]I also noticed this past Saturday I was up at 5:30AM like a kid at Christmas because I was smoking my first butt for pulled pork. It was done in 9 hours and 30 minutes (it was only 4 lbs) at 250 degrees dome temp, 200 degrees meat temp.It was awesome pulled pork. During the day I helped my wife move furniture. I also cleaned the yard and other chores all the while checking the temp on the BGE and my butt. This is turning into a compulsion.[p]I did play golf yesterday AM but came right home and smoked a turkey breast. Do I need to seek help or is this normal??????[p]We now have leftovers for the next two evenings. I may go into withdrawal.....[p]Please advise.........[p]Kim Youngblood
(aka vidalia1)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    vidalia1,[p]Take a deep breath you can do it.. However, don't try for three days...[p]POOL OPEN: Time and date for his next egg purchase?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Celtic Wolf,
    A used top-of-the-line set of golf clubs will buy a lot of Big Green Egg stuff, not to mention the green fees and associated costs for the joy of being able to say "%#^&" after every swing.[p]I'm guessing he is already designing his outdoor kitchen as we speak.[p]Spring "Ten Eggs Short Of A Dozen" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    vidalia1,[p]Admitting there is a problem is the first step (I heard that somewere).[p]The answer is NO, it will not end any time soon, but you shouldn't be overly concerned. [p]This is a good thing and your taste bud will love you for it.[p]Smokey
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    vidalia1, you need an electronic temp control: guru or stoker. That way, start the cook, go play golf, come home and eat. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Show the wife how to monitor and adjust the BGE as necessary.....get the cook going.....turn your cell phone off and go play golf....works for me every time.....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL[p]

• Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    vidalia1,
    You are in good company! "Hello my name is Reb and I am an egg-oholic" I bought my BGE a couple weeks ago and my wife said "your addicted" to me this weekend. She also has figured out that if she can't find me, I am on the computer, checking the forum and/or looking at recipes.
    I dont think there is a cure (at least I hope there isnt one)

• EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    vidalia1,
    At some point your doctor will tell you that you've put on some weight, and need to cut back on the meat products and eat more veggies. Consider this to be the first steps on the road to recovery.(That is, Learn to egg the veggies)
    Mike

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Spring Chicken,[p]How did you know that is just what I was doing this weekend. I am not handy at building things but I have friends who are. I have already promised delicious meals in return for their ability to build a food/work area.[p]I may not sell my clubs but I do have 6 flyrods. Certainly I could sell a few of those and buy a medium BGE....[p]Can you say obsessive compulsive???????[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    100_1439.jpg
    <p />vidalia1,
    the egg will eventually fit into your life style. heres one cook from last weeks fishing trip. somehow i still got in about 15 hours of fishing in one day as the egg cooked this pot roast for about 7 hours. after you learn temp control theres lots of free time if you choose your cooks to fit the schedule. it took me about a half hour to light the egg, sear the roast, and get it into the pot and back out onto the lake trusting that everything would be fine when i got back later that night.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SpokaneMan
    SpokaneMan Posts: 77
    He sounds like me. I'm on this sight every chance I get and I've been working like a slave on my outdoor kitchen. The plans changed recently when we decided to add a small egg to our large.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    vidalia1,
    I am big into BGE's, but also fly fishing. What kind of rods are you going to sell?[p]

• Quick solution, get a guru or stoker and simply play golf, fish or hunt while the "assistant" cooks for you.
  • GonetoSeed
    GonetoSeed Posts: 13
    vidalia1,
    As I recall you were warned, but no, you had to go ahead and take the plunge :) When you design your new inevitiable Egg table add a space for your fly tying vise and tying supplies. You can tie a lot of flies during a 6 hour cook :)