Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the double boiler drip pan and what purpose does the

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
water serve? do you have cuts in the tin foil for the steam to escape? I'm lost on the purpose of covering water with tin foil and catching juices on top. Thanks for the help

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Dog, its a extra effort that is done sometimes to catch dripping for saving for gravies. Some prefer not to have them browned to heavily.
    I forget who it was that first posted it.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    setter3.jpg
    <p />Big Dog,[p]The double boiler drip pan is my creation - I use it alot and I am sure other methods work too. The idea started when my wife complained that turky juices were needed for gravy and she was always upset that the drippings burnt or dried up un the drip pan. I found that adding some water in the pan and placing a foil sheet over it saved the drippings on top for gravy. The combo acts like a firebrick since it absorbs heat and shields the food from the heat below. In the picture you can see I also used a plate setter and the double boiler on it - sometimes I use the rig by itself. If you ever need more than a drip pan and don't want to get really complicated - try the double boiler. The water will steam out and it has no effect and it is not intened to do anything other than absorb heat.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    When I tried this ...[p]Circular drip pan/Water in bottom/Lined with foil[p]The water boiled and created a "dome" shape in the foil[p]which caused the juices to then overflow onto the lump.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Patrick/GA,
    Make a small hole or two in the foil at the edge so that steam has a chance to escape.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, or (if TimM doesn't mind) you could just make a aluminum boat, and just let it float on top. Catch and carry method..heeeeeyaaaa...great table BTW..UPS shippable??
    C~W

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I was just idly thinking what I would charge for a table like this, assuming you came and got it yourself.
    55 bd ft of red oak - $200.
    Slate - $8
    Tile - $7.
    Finish - $20.
    Wheels - $20
    Screws - $10
    Knowing you have the heaviest BGE nest in the world - PRICELESS![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, :-)...tis the screws that gets to me..heeeyaaa.
    You forgot to deduct the rewards of all the fun..!!
    C~W[p]