Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy top stuck

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I got my BGE, I read on the forum how to clean the daisy wheel top. Of course, I didn't need it then.[p]NOW-- It is stuck, and close to impossible to get wheel to move (or even ceramic top off) when it is cold. I have to heat it up some to get wheel to move.[p]There's a real sticky, thick, black "glue" (essence of BBQ I guess).
I seem to remember there's something easy to clean this off with, I just cant remember what![p]Does anyone know what to clean this mess with?[p]Thanks,
T-Bone

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    T-Bone,
    Soak overnight totally immersed in household ammonia. A stiff brush and rinse in the morning should do the trick, unless of course you were making your own railroad tie then two days might be needed.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    T-Bone,[p]Or, if wanting to use the egg tonight (who can wait ?) boil some water, place daisy top in a stainless steel bowl or pan and pour water over it. Then clean well the next day.

• Unknown
    Options
    EJ,[p]Forgot to add, wait a few minutes (of course) and dry off with paper towels or cloth.[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, you forgot to add, use a large coffee can and it will fit all the bge tops..seal overnight with the plastic can top. I usually store a few to keep em handy with the plastic slipped on the bottom.
    A few shakes to stir the solution is usually all it takes.
    Water alone won't do it...sorry to the other poster!
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Don't apologize, that's why I said to clean the daisy well the next day. I was only talking about cleaning it well enough to use right away ! Seemed like on a Friday evening someone might want to cook something, not clean something. No offense taken. I do the overnight soak periodically myself.