Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Aujus sauce

Options
Bushgator
Bushgator Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I asked the other day Thursday I think and I cant find my thread or answer I was asking everyone did it get deletd? if so WHY?
I was wondering what kind of Merlot wine (or whatever)to buy that will make a good AJu sauce (if thats how you spell it) from a prime rib roast. seems I read a while back store bought merlot or whatever it was bought wine was not as good as the better thats my question whats the name and how much are we taliking about.
Sorry to re do this agin, but I have searched the past three archives and its nowhere to be found. If anyone has a recipe that would be even better. Thanks again

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Bushgator,[p]Sorry, I cannot help with the kind of wine, but to be honest, I have a hard time believing that any good red wine would be a problem or all that much different.[p]Here are two recipes I copied off the forum.[p]Au Jus
    BGE Forum by MCG DAWG[p]By far the easiest way is to take about 48 oz of beef stock and reduce it down to about 10-12 oz. Pour the drippings from the meat into it and voila, AU JUS.[p]Simmer slowly – not a full boil. It usually takes 2-3 hours to get it to reduce down to the consistency and taste you want. I use 1 1/2 of the boxes of ready made beef stock you can get at the store.[p]By DISH[p]1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of water along with the drippings from the roast and reduce down to half , my question is what kind of red wine?

• Bushgator
    Options
    Never mind . I just found it on here, man I need to go to bed, Thanks Hank for answering me ,very much appreciated. But I will still love to have recipies if anyone has em.
  • Bushgator
    Options
    BobS,
    Thanks Bob. Im going to give it a shot this week.

• Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Bushgator,
    Good rule of thumb to taught to many chefs is if you would not drink the wine you should not cook with it. I would not cook with a bottle that has been openedfor three weeks on the counter. Hoss

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Bushgator,
    My best experience with au jus is using a Knorr beef boulion mixed with water, quarter and onion, add two cloves of garlic, simmer for 1 hour.(add water if needed) Strain and serve. Great au jus will have flavor of french onion soup without the particulates.
    Good Eaten
    Doug