Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for some Sourdough!! (Large Post)

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking at my dealer's a couple of weeks ago and this fellow came by and saw a couple of my bread pics that I always have on hand. I told him I had just ordered a sourdough starter and mentioned that I had never had any luck getting the "real" sourdough taste. He said he had one he would give me that he has had for 44 years! And, he had gotten it from someone who had had it in their family for 92 years before that! So, he brought me a jar of this 136 + year old starter along with instructions and recipes.
Here is one of the loaves on the large ;
Large1.jpg

Here is the one on the small :
Small1.jpg

Close up on the large :
Large2.jpg

Close up on the small:
Small2.jpg

This stuff is for real! Unbelievable flavor and crust with a soft, moist interior. I've finally found a sourdough starter........

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    egret,
    Didn't know you would have to wait 136+ years for the starter! Great shots from the deck, bread looks fantastic also.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    egret,[p]Looks great as always. Would you mind either posting a few more of your bread pictures or sending me the links via e-mail? [p]An Egger that does not post here was asking me about breads just last week. I sent him some of Old Dave's info, but a few more pictures can't hurt.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret
    thirdeye,
    Here is a loaf of white bread on the large:
    WhiteBread.jpg

And, after baking :
    Bread.jpg

Here is "Crusty Country Bread" on the small :
    BreadonSmall.jpg

This one is in my profile :
    BreadontheRidge.jpg

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    egret,
    Beautiful! A work of art! Bravo!
    I am amazed, inspired, ... and jealous. :-)[p]Assuming that I have a starter, have you got a recipe?[p]Thanks again,
    Peter

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    egret,
    Impresssive John.[p]Mike

• 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    egret,
    I agree with Richard. The bread looks great, but your back yard is phenomenal.

• egret,
    good luck for you! i have the same problem with relatively tasteless sourdough starter. what i have read is that the starter's sourness depends on the wild yeast in your area. the references say that even if you "import" a tasty starter, over time the wild yeast in your area will overtake the original yeast.
    i'll be interested in hearing from you some empirical data as to the sourness of your newly acquired starter over time.[p]good luck!![p]ken

• egret
    Richard,
    I know I don't look it............

• egret
    omba,
    I don't have the recipe in a digital format. The one he gave me were scanned out of "Cook's Illustrated" magazine.

• egret
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks, Mikey.......

• egret
    2EggTim,
    Thank you kindly. We sure could use a spite, or more, of rain, though. Actually, my backyard stops somewhere short of the horizon :-).

• egret,
    did you need my address?[p]holy carp that looks great!

• egret
    Ken Baker,
    That's interesting. Those local yeasts better not go messin' with my starter! Actually, the man that gave me this has had it around here for a number of years, so, if this is what I can expect in the future, I'm happy!

• egret
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thanks for that. I think this stuff can be dried out and mailed. I'll look into it........

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    egret,
    That is absolutely beautiful!!!! How often do you feed the starter? -RP

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    egret,
    Great looking bread but better view John...We rented a three story log cabin back in Feburary about 5 miles past Helen on top of a mountain and had about the same view.I really love it up there.
    Larry

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    egret,[p]BRAVO! The bubbles in the crust provide the clue...[p]Nothing better than a great loaf of sourdough.[p]Puj [p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Puj,
    Hope you and the family are doing GREAT Marc....When you come through here on your way to Atlanta let me know.
    Larry

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    egret,[p]Thanks for the extra pictures!! I'll forward my buddy a link to this whole thread.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret, Looks great!

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    egret,
    Good bread is my favorite food. It goes with everythng and can be made into so many flavors, shapes and textures. I'm actually thinking far ahead and when I finally finish up my Chicken Coop, I'm going to start on an outdoor brick oven.[p]Your pictures always inspire me to make bread and live high in the hills.[p]Spring "The Semi-Original Doughboy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    egret,[p]That looks fantastic, as do all your bread photos. Do you get your recipes all from the same cookbook? Besides the sourdough, I mean. I know you got that one from Cooks Illustrated. Do you have a month and year of that issue? I have some back issues and might have it laying around.[p]Lately I've been making the No Knead Bread recipe from the NY Times, which turns out a pretty excellent artisan type bread. I'd love to luck into a sourdough starter like you did, tho. Maybe if I go cook at my local dealers... <g>[p]Gwen[p]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    egret,[p]Myyyy....Myyy....My!!![p]Those sure look yummy John!!![p]I'll bring the pepper jelly and meet you at the state line!![p]Hey...BTW, haven't you heard...???[p]"You can't bake on the Small...with that 12" stone"!! [p].......Right?[p]See you two.... before you know it![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Chubby,
    Look what the cat drug in. I have you and "The Chick" registered for Ohama. Don't let your fans down.[p]How you been?[p]Mike

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    egret,[p]Amazing. I am jealous.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Spring Chicken,
    You're building a coop? Pictures, pictures! I want chickens soooo bad.[p]Gwen

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    egret
    Fantastic sourdough! Amazing how old the starter is and then to use it and make sourdough look so good. Your pic's are beautiful. Really a special cook in my book, I think yours also. I like those close ups, can almost smell the aroma....yummmmmmm.
    Clay

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    dimplesmom,
    It's not a "Chicken" chicken coop. It's a home for Spring Chicken and Spring Hen to cook on the Big Green Eggs. We call it the Chicken Coop, just as we call our homestead The Chicken Ranch (as made famous in Best Little Whoxehouse In Texas). Although we are a L O N G way from being one of those places.[p]I'll be posting some pictures of it one of these days after I build the last cabinet for my small Egg. So far, it is Eggxactly what we wanted.[p]Spring "Chicken Ranch Hand" Chicken

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    egret,[p]Someone may have asked this already but why do you wrap the plate setter in tin foil?
    Where was the pic taken? Looks like Southern Mountains. Maybe VA, NC, GA or TN??[p]Thanks

• egret
    AZRP,
    The instructions I got say to do it weekly, however, the man that gave it to me said he had left it in the fridge for up to 6 months without doing anything to it!