Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen hamburger patties?

Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any luck cooking frozen hamburger patties on the egg? I wonder if their convenience is not worth the sacrafice in flavor.

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Birdman,
    Naaaaaa....save the frozen patties for a cheapo gas/coal grill.
    Not to say, of course, that the BGE just cant cook them.
    If I were you I would buy ground beef and make high temp burgers with an EGG.
    ST

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Birdman,
    Thats an easy one. Start your fire small, put on your favorite wood, and put the burgers on to smoke for 20 minutes. Keep the temp low. When sufficiently smoked, take them off, crank the EGG to 600-700 and cook. I use the same method for steaks and it works GRRR...ATE! ! !

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Birdman,[p] I see no reason why those shouldn't work. However, I would think that thawing out those patties first would take just as long as using store-bought ground meat to fashion fresh patties. I usually don't do burgers that much, so when I do, I go all out and grind up a chuck roast and use the meat right away. No question about where my ground beef comes from and I can cook a rare burger w/o worrying about it . . .[p]MikeO
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    MAC,
    I've cooked steaks via the usual high heat sear/shut off the air dwell method with smoking chips and the steaks were very well smoked. I should think you could save the 20 minute presmoke step. I can't imagine wanting more smoke than I get with the traditional method. Maybe after you've done a lot of smoking, you become numb and need more? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Birdman,
    Over the past year, I have started to buy and use frozen hamburger patties. Now keep in mind that I am particularly picky with the meat that I buy, so this was a stretch for me to buy and use. That being said, the hamburgers come out great. We Char Crust them or use some mustard and JJ’s Rub and grill them at high temperatures like steaks. Frozen hamburgers work great for a mid week meal, my wife pulls them out before I get home and I then I grill them when I get home. Quick, easy and to the point.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• MikeO,I bought frozen hamburgers from SAMS CLUB and they were better than average..I brought egg up to 450 degrees dome temp,placed frozen burgers on grill for 4 minutes on 1 side and then cooked other side for 3 minutes while adding salt and pepper.I cooked them direct and my family said they didnot shrink like the homemade kind and the shape and taste besides the convience was well worth it.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Birdman,[p]My kids prefer them over the traditional. I like them for the ease of the cook. Besides, it's really hard to cook them medium rare which sometimes happens with regular ground beef. My wifey likes that. 4 minutes a side and presto, dinner.[p]Mick

• The Naked Whiz
    MickeyT.,[p]Just remember, if the patties fall apart into the fire, you can brace them! (running like heck for cover....)[p]The Naked Whiz

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Birdman, my wife and kids like them because they stay flat. Mine have a tendency to "pooch" up in the middle unless I take Spin's advice and put a dimple in the middle.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz,
    By the way, speaking of bracing, I hope to get the top installed this weekend, which then means that I will cut the circle. Once the circle is cut, we'll actually have empirical evidence as to the need for bracing. To tell the truth, I am reserving a little bit of oak, just in case...... [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    The Naked Whiz,
    First the smoking method thaws the meat. Second the smoke takes better to cold meat than cooked meat. Third you have to waqit for the fire to warm the BGE anyway. Its the lazy man's way to "Q". And lazy is my middle name. MAC LAZY. Sounds like a burger, doesn't it?

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    The Naked Whiz,[p]My design needed it but yours probably won't because you are in fact........................................................................... "The Naked Whiz"[p]Mick

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Wise One,
    Bill, the new HOW TO GRILL book has a chicken recipe that you need to use with your burger .Called "How to grill chicken(burger) under a brick":-)) A good sized paver orta keep that sucker flat!!! Bob