Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Burgers? Direct vs. Indirect cook

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I was wondering how many eggers use ground chuck or ground round 80% lean 20% fat and cook them with either a direct or indirect setup. I have been cooking them directly bit I have noticed that the fat drips on the lump and flares up and makes alot of smoke. I was wondering about the indirect setup and wondering if that works good for burgers. Please post your thoughts.[p]Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]you might try a raised grid.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    IMHO, I use a double grind brisket. It's cheaper than chuck, and has the perfect fat to meat ratio. As far as direct and indirect...definatly direct. I like that charred crust to 'em. I also let them sit for about five minutes while the juices in the brisket burger and my mouth stir.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Boxerpapa,
    You grind the flat or packer?

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I've done both. I kinda like the slight crust from the direct ones myself.[p]I normally use 85/15 burger.

• Unknown
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]
    The packer. You can have the butcher shave a little fat off, but make sure it's a double grind.

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Boxerpapa,
    I was asking because I've ground up a flat that I picked out with a decent amount of fat and thought it was too lean. A good fatty packer might be the ticket.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I like 80/20 and generally cook them on a raised grid at something between 350 & 400. I get smoke, but with the temp control, there are no flare-up problems.[p]Some on the forum (ClayQ, I think) posted about cooking them indirect at a lower temp (250-275, I think, but it has been a while....). I tried them once and actually thought they were really good, with more smoke flavor, but the difference just wasn't enough for me to go for the difference in time. [p]That said, there is nothing wrong with trying them indirect at a hotter temp.

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I generally do my burgers at 350 indirect. We usually add a little bit of worcestershire sauce. I have had two people on seperate occasions say it was the best burger they had ever had. One friend actually took a bite and then stopped mid sentence and stared at his burger for a couple seconds in what looked like disbelief/pure awww. It was one of those really cool egg moments.

• Unknown
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Ground chuck is what I use for my burgers.
    I mix real bacon bits and diced vidalia onion
    into the patties. I always make them fresh, never
    frozen. They cook direct at about 350-375F.
    Sometimes I will mix ground chuck and ground sirloin
    about half and half.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Pharmeggist, I usually do them indirect at about 270 or 290. You get a more moist more smoked burger indirect with lower temperature, imo.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I use 80/20 for burgers always. To me there's just no comparison in taste. (For meatloaf I mix 80/20 with the leaner stuff.)[p]We bbq direct.[p]I'm gonna try that worchestershire addition to the meat. That sounds interesting. Sometimes I add a packet of Liptons Onion Soup Mix and that gives a good flavor.[p]Gwen