Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portobello Recipe?

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Vegetarian friends are staying with us next week. They'll eat fish, and I know I can always make pizza, but I need some other alternatives. Anyone have a good recipe for portobello shrooms on the Egg? (they're my wife's favorite, but not high on my list.)

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    bdavidson, I have grilled the portobellos directly onthe grill just like a burger. I marinated them in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and pepper and then placed them directly on the grill along with the burgers. I cooked two minutes, flipped, cooked another two minutes, placed cheese on all (burgers and shrooms) and allowed to dwell for another 6 minutes. I thought the burgers were great and my friend's daughter thought the shrooms were great.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Wise One,
    What temp? Or did you cook them like steaks with a high searing temp and the shut off the air for the dwell?[p]Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    The Naked Whiz, I cooked at about 550. I have actually put a shroom on my burger and found it to be good along with it and some blue cheese.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Wise One,
    I saw a recipe in Bon Appetit that looked pretty good. It used balsamic vinegar and rosemary with a little olive oil. Same type of thing you're describing.
    I may give it a try.
    bd

• Wise One
    bdavidson, do it. I have seen Portobello mushrooms as entres described as "poor man's steak". (of course I think they may be more expensive than steak.)

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Wise One,[p]Try this. I got this from a Foodtv show - Grillin and Chilling. it's a grilled portobello sandwich with goat chees and green sauce. [p]4 portobello mushrooms
    8 ounces goat cheese, sliced (quarter of an inch or a little more per slice)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    green sauce:
    1/4 cup baby spinach (I usually leave out the spinach leaves and just make it all basil, or even parsely)
    1/4 cup basil leaves
    1 teaspoon tarragon
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (industrial grade is fine)
    1 teaspoon capers
    2 cloves roasted garlic
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil[p]Puree the green sauce ingredients in a blender. Rub mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the BGE to 400. Grill rib side down first for four minutes. Turn over and spoon green sauce over portobello, a neat, generous puddle in the middle. Add slices of goat cheese. Touch with just a bit more of the green sauce. After four minutes check to see how down they are. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly. [p]Treat'em like hamburgers and pop'em into toasted rolls. They are so good, you might like'em yourself.

• Bobby Que
    Bobby Que Posts: 50
    bdavidson,
    I posted a recipe above for some shrooms that is a copy of one I posted some time ago along with Gorgonzola filets- both done on the Egg. I thought it was coming out in this thread?
    It seems it is similar to some of the other suggestions here- so it must be tasty.

• bdavidson, We think the portobello recipe in the recipe section is great. Another idea is to use blue cheese instead of swiss....that is if you like the taste of a stronger cheese than swiss. The blue cheese with portobello idea came from a favorite restaurant for lunch. Jim and I will try the goat cheese trick soon....we get a wonderful goat cheese with roasted garlic at Trader Joes.

• Wise One
    char buddy , this looks like a keeper. I might try a few other cheeses rather than goat cheese but it looks good.