Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Keeping Temp. New egghead

edited 3:32PM in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to handle the egg if during the smoke the metal grate at the bottom of the fire box gets clogged with ash? I ask because i was learning to control temp at 225 and after 4 hours the temp dropped and while investigating this drop in temp i opened the ash door and looked up into the fire box and noticed i had half the metal grate at the fire box cloged with ash and the other half was free and clear. please help eggheads.
thanks, Anthony

• PainterPainter Posts: 464
    Lawn Ranger makes a wiggle rod for that job. For now bend a steel coat hangar and access through lower vent and clear holes in grate.

[ul][li]Wiggle Rod[/ul]
  • BraddogBraddog Posts: 212
    Anthony,[p]Welcome! I'm a n00b myself. I received some advice from one of the fine folks here to make sure that my grate was installed so that the side where the holes are flat (as opposed to concave) is up. It's less likely to clog that way. It does seem to have made a differnence.[p]If all else fails, it's an opportunity to eggcessorize![p]Good Luck,