Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost Juices - Fact or Fiction?

Lab Rat
Lab Rat Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read, heard, and even repeated the mantra of "Don't poke, pierce, press, squeeze or otherwise mutilate the meat 'cause it will let all the juices leak out and the food will be dry".[p]Does anyone know if this is indeed true - or is it just an urban legend?[p]I've seen "people" prepare meat (especially when using tenderizer on cheaper cuts) use a fork to drive the tenderizer deeper inside the meat. I also own and have use a steak tenderizer that drives an array of little spikes into the meat to break up the meat fibers. The resulting steaks have been just as juicy as the non-tenderized.[p]What about injectors for marinades? If poking the meak allows juices to escape, shouldn't the marinade and natural juices just leak out the injection hole?[p]What about skewered meat?[p]Opinions wanted - but also any pseudo-experimental data![p]Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lab Rat,[p]
    "Don't poke, pierce, press, squeeze or otherwise mutilate the meat 'cause it will let all the juices leak out and the food will be dry".[p]I believe that to be true DURING the cook and during the rest. [p]A hamburger patty is a perfect example. It sears over and holds the juices in. Lets face it, burger has been mutilated for the most part before cooking, and will come out nice and juicy if you don't press or poke it. In whole muscle meats, I go to the extreme of either leaving my temp probe in while resting or replacing it with a potato nail so juices wont leak out the hole.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I vote for urban legend.[p]But there will be a small amount of juices lost for each piercing. Not something I worry about.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Lab Rat,
    in a word. bullsh!t.[p]searing lets out MORE juice. poking meat is not like poking a water balloon. etc. etc.
    [p]basically everything yer dad told you about grilling is horseh!t.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ...except for pressing the meat. that will dry it out.[p]poke the sh!t out of it, no appreciable loss. forcibly pressing the meat, though, will do it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye,
    I use a rusty nail :)

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    GaryJ,
    What does a cocktail prevent you from realizing that your meat lost juices?? lol

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Spaceman Spiff,
    Considering the pierced young lady I saw at the grocery store today, it looks as if she ought to be as dry as an old boot.[p]Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Rusty Rooster,
    Good one dude! I had to read your reply twice and then Google search “Rusty Nail” I need to get out more often, had no idea that was the name of a drink! LOL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    GaryJ,
    not just a name, but a drink that is really kick ass! I first was introduced to those some 40 years ago and still love them from time to time. Cool name - COOL DRINK!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.